Anyone Else Have Modified Tools?

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
As I was cleaning up the garage today my wife came out looking for something & started to help out. She noticed this pile of wrenches on one particular drawer & asked what happened to them. Told her I honestly couldn't recall, but they aren’t the only ones. Sometimes you have to get creative & be purposefully shortsighted in order to get something done.

Surely I’m not the only one with a collection of custom tools?

559C1C63-DAE3-490F-9BB7-BEF73266B12D.jpeg

I have modified a few tools got a 9/16 wrench ground the open down paper thin to remove a foam disc of of orbital DA sander the other day

As I was cleaning up the garage today my wife came out looking for something & started to help out. She noticed this pile of wrenches on one particular drawer & asked what happened to them. Told her I honestly couldn't recall, but they aren’t the only ones. Sometimes you have to get creative & be purposefully shortsighted in order to get something done.

Surely I’m not the only one with a collection of custom tools?

View attachment 230212
I hope those a chinesium craftsman

I’ve got a wrench in my tool box that my dad modified back around 1984. It was bent, ground down thinner on the boxed end and the ends of the open end were cut off. It was used to remove the bolts for a 1979 Mercury Cougar thermostat housing without having to remove some other stuff. I don’t recall what those other things were now though. I bought that car ffom mom and dad in 1988 after I got to my first base. I paid them $100 a month for it for a year. LOL. The car is long gone now but I still have the wrench and will never get rid of it.

9E3FC3FF-C274-4FFE-B06F-2A0EE8DB67FF.jpeg

Last edited:
I still have a bent up 13mm wrench that was used to remove the front nut from a single barrel carb VW Bug intake manifold. And when I was in Jr. High School, I made a cheater bar wrench with a 4’ handle welded to a hunk of 3/4” plate with a 19mm hex hole cut into it for the rear axle nuts on my Dads ‘63 and ‘64 VW Double Cabs.
Oh and in High School, I modified a pair of pliers to simulate “ beaver teeth “ to remove windshield wipers arms from cars and trucks before they got repainted at the body shop that I worked at.

Last edited: