Anyone else having a rattle from the inside of their door right by the outside paddle handle?

Mrgreg66

TJ Enthusiast
I have pulled the door panel off and can't see anything wrong but if I pound on the door right next to the handle with my hand, I get a rattle that is the exact sound that is driving me crazy going over bumps on the trail. The latch works fine and seems to be in good shape.

I know what it is. There is a rod that goes through a bracket with a hole in it. You need a grommet on that bracket.

In the last pic, I'm showing the bracket before mounting it. It screws into the 2 holes near the bottom of the door.

Picture 406.jpg

Picture 412.jpg

Picture 415.jpg

Picture 413.jpg

Those pics were from November of 2008. That rattling drove me crazy when I first got my Jeep. It took me a bit to figure out what it was.

Reactions: Mrgreg66
Thanks 89grand! I'll pull the panel again tomorrow and look for that grommet.

If you end up shredding your watershield when pulling it off to look at that grommet, let me know. You can't find those new any longer and I ordered a big roll of 12mil plastic to make new watershields. If you need to replace the butyl sealant in-between the door and watershield, this is what you need.

Reactions: Mrgreg66 and JMT
That butyl stuff works great for reapplying the plastic shield, among many other uses. I don't think I have that exact brand, but I have something just like it. Everyone should have some.