Anyone else own a Hmmwv?

Tranz Zam

TJ Enthusiast
Welp, I got the itch again, and started bidding on Hmmwvs on Gov Planet. Ended up winning a non running 1997 M1097A2 in Georgia. I'm still waiting on the government paperwork to clear before I can pick it up, but I'm already gathering parts and planning out the build.

I'll be stripping it down and rebuilding it, but not totally original. It'll end up looking more like an urban assault vehicle rather then something you'd find in the sandbox.

Anyone else here have one? They're just as fun and addictive as Jeeps lol

a30eb328-1c8d-4a87-8f48-852b35e7f551.jpg

e481d02d-d7a7-4f41-9a6d-8a751cce970b.jpg

d0ef1d2c-de32-4a85-b1ba-aef98006eae7.jpg

bbcceff3-560d-4adc-818e-6fcb4cdfe641.jpg

0545e596-1b4c-4001-9e59-549495b50006.jpg

243c0cd8-7887-422d-bbc7-fa99c0c2391f.jpg

Welp, I got the itch again, and started bidding on Hmmwvs on Gov Planet. Ended up winning a non running 1997 M1097A2 in Georgia. I'm still waiting on the government paperwork to clear before I can pick it up, but I'm already gathering parts and planning out the build.

I'll be stripping it down and rebuilding it, but not totally original. It'll end up looking more like an urban assault vehicle rather then something you'd find in the sandbox.

View attachment 493407

View attachment 493408

View attachment 493409

View attachment 493410

View attachment 493411

View attachment 493412

I been looking at M1078 and M1083.

Reactions: Tranz Zam
Cool, my first experience with one was in the mid 90’s and the national guard brought a couple to our county fair and gave rides. They ended up busting up the front end of one and getting the other stuck in the mud.

I have had many at my house in Tonopah. Oh the thoughts I have had of unloading them and trying to get them stuck.

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition

View attachment 493407

View attachment 493408

View attachment 493409

View attachment 493410

View attachment 493411

View attachment 493412

Duramax swap! Do you live in a state you can still register a hmmwv? Or the whole montana llc deal?

Never owned one but I certainly beat the hell out of a few of them. Won't be surprised if it isn't running because of either rodents or it is a crackhead. They are a blast to drive but glad I never had to pay the repair bill when they broke and they seemed to break all the time. (discounting the time I got one fully airborne all four wheels off the ground) (oh and when the heavy drop parachute failed and the Humvee dug in. Wheels bounced crazy high)

Duramax swap! Do you live in a state you can still register a hmmwv? Or the whole montana llc deal?

Both. MA is cool with their registrations, but I have a Montana LLC that I'll probably put it under.

My guess as to it not running is either a frozen up injection pump, or a start box that failed. It's full of clean oil and coolant, so if a head was cracked I think those would show some major contamination.

If the 6.5 in it is fine, I'll leave it alone. If it turns out to be a paperweight, I've been toying with the idea of an GM 8.1 or possibly a Powerstroke. I was thinking 12v Cummins, or possibly a Duramax, but idk I kinda want to do something different if it comes to that.

We used to have a vessel at work that had twin 1800hp Detroit's (12v149 or something like that?). I'm thinking one of those ought to do it? Probably have to make it rear engine though because they were huge.

I once saw a pickup truck with an old Fairbanks-Morse marine diesel. Odd looking motor.

Reactions: bbaldwin237