Anyone ever hear of a engine rebuilder called Sawco?

hardtailpan

TJ Enthusiast
I just found and purchased a 4.0l motor for my Apex. It's an 02 out of a WJ with the "tupy" head. When I was looking it over I found these little coin like deals attached to freeze plug on the motor, and one on the freeze plug at the back of the head. They say "Sawco void if removed." I've never heard of this company and I can't seem to find anything relevant with Google, which is very surprising. Maybe its a junkyard or the garage that installed the motor? I have no idea. If anybody can shed any light on this I'd
appreciate it!

Edit: These appear to be "thermal discs" that are put on rebuilt, and maybe junk yard motors to determine if the engine has overheated for warranty purposes. I'm hoping this means I scored a rebuilt engine! It sure looks clean thru the oil fill hole...

Sawco.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I think I may have figured it out, these may be what they call "vanity" thermal disks, or heat tabs, that have the name of the rebuilder or junkyard on them. I think SAWCO may actually stand for Standard Auto Wrecking Company which isn't very far from me.
Looks like it probably isn't a rebuilt motor, but a junkyard motor.