Anyone ever install a passenger drop diff?

astjp2

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
I am l looking at options for front axles, I prefer geared transfercases and I have a Dana 300 that I do NOT want to flip and an atlas maybe out of the cards for now. Has anyone ever put a passenger drop front axle in? if so what did you do about the track bar location? What other modifications did you have to do to get the suspension to work? Thanks, Tim

I am l looking at options for front axles, I prefer geared transfercases and I have a Dana 300 that I do NOT want to flip and an atlas maybe out of the cards for now. Has anyone ever put a passenger drop front axle in? if so what did you do about the track bar location? What other modifications did you have to do to get the suspension to work? Thanks, Tim
The bigger issue is not the small stuff. The bigger issue is the TJ motors are shifted to the right side to clear the driveshaft on the left side. That and you will need a completely custom exhaust system that comes off the manifold and goes down the left side.

Another minor issue is the centerline of the output yoke on the front of the 300 is generally closer to the trans than a 231. One of the minor reasons they did away with the Atlas I and built the Atlas II.

There are no problems you are solving with the 300 except the twin stick option. The chain driven cases just aren't a problem.

Well Blaine, I have broke 3 chains so far in different vehicles, and 2 were no lift, stock tires. This is just something that I am looking at, not a hard and fast build, just looking at options. Thanks, Tim

Well Blaine, I have broke 3 chains so far in different vehicles, and 2 were no lift, stock tires. This is just something that I am looking at, not a hard and fast build, just looking at options. Thanks, Tim
That seems very unusual.
1547566469023.png

1547566500256.png

1547566536190.png

I'm fairly good but I have not figure out how to make winch lines push me up an obstacle yet so it is safe to assume that the line you see in my receiver is attached to something else. That something else was a well built YJ that blew the rear axle halfway through Outer Limits and we decided to go up rather than turn around and go back down. It was a long day with me tugging, towing, yanking and pulling him up every obstacle in 2wd. That sort of recovery of which I had and have done several is why I removed the 231 that was in there for that one and replaced it with the Atlas II. Point being I have been around a lot of chain driven cases in JV and we have never broken one. I don't doubt your experiences, we just don't see them in the TJ and I'm around a lot of folks who have bigger tires than they should have.