Anyone have a TJ as well as a JK?

bruceco

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone have both.I have had a 2000 tj for 4 years now and did a complete redo before I put it on the road,frame rebuild,brakes etc. still runs fine but I wondered about getting a jk 2 dr sport also. They seem to have there problems but I wondered what years are better and anyones thoughts that have had one for awhile.
Bruce

All I know is my wife's 2017 JK is like driving her Subaru Forester when on the road. Much nicer road car than my TJ if that's anyone's goal. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to find out how similar to TJ it is off road but I bet it's close.
IMG_20200720_204039365.jpg

Not a Rubicon, I guess the PO liked fake stickers.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
My wife and I have both. I have a 2003 and my wife has a a 2015. Everything I read stated stay away from the 3.8 engine. We have the 3.6 and so far so good. We did have an issue with no heat coming from the heater. I read of an issue with a flapper that diverts air, the plastic gear breaks. I bought a new one and it stopped failing. I’m keeping the part in case it quits again.

I absolutely love my TJ. With that said, There’s just something about a JK that just doesn’t sit right with me. Maybe it’s the plastic-y appearance or their less than stellar mechanical reputation... whatever it is, I’ll never own one.

Reactions: TJRick
I have both. 1998 SE and 2013 JKU Rubicon. Quite the difference but I love them both. My JK had ~118,000 miles so far with no issues (knock on wood). I've wheeled more with the JK than I thought I would. The extra power (vs the 2.5), lockers, sway bar disconnect are great. It is a very capable machine. Saying that, I still enjoy driving the TJ more.

Jeep 1.JPG

Rubi 1.jpg

I HAD a 2017 Rubicon Recon JKU; traded it for a '21 Camaro 2SS.

The Recon is a super nice road vehicle, more than capable on the trails. Less than 3 months after the Camaro purchase we were looking for another Jeep. We were hooked. :-0

I ended up with a built 2k1 TJ, 4" lift, rebuilt engine, repaired frame, turbo, built correctly. I LOVE IT. It does not have all the nannies that the Recon had but it is in immaculate condition, it's loud, clunky, rides rough, bounces me all over the place, it is a BLAST! No regrets (except for trading the Recon for a Camaro). But if I had not have done that I never would have ended up with the TJ; so maybe no regrets after all. :)

I am still getting used to the SUPER short wheelbase and the 4" lift. Still trying to figure out how to park it; I have NO IDEA where my wheels are and I can't even see the hood! It's crazy, I love it.

My dad has a 2017, I have an 04. Driving them back to back, the JK is a better driver in almost every way possible. I don't mind the look of the JK, but I like the TJ better. There is a lot to like about the JK...

If you're going to get one, get a later model (2012+) and don't buy a Canadian one...they won't honor the warranty. My folks found that out the hard way.