Anyone have any experience with Steinjager control arms?

Thumper4fun

TJ Enthusiast
Any one have or know anything about the Steinjager TJ control arms? A friend asked me about them this weekend and I am not familiar with them at all. And a quick online search didn't turn up much other than they are sold by Extreme Terrain. Feedback/comments would be much appreciated.

Look like your average every day oriental control arms to me.

Poly joints on both ends.

I wouldn't run them period due to the poly joints. Even if you're just mall crawling, you'd be better off with a set of control arms that use rubber bushings (like the stock ones).

Nothing special about these things.

Which double adjustable rear upper and lower control arm with rubber bushings would you recommend?
If Chris thinks the same way I do, he wouldn't recommend any aftermarket control arms with rubber bushings at both ends. Rubber bushings at both ends of a rigid aftermarket control arm don't allow sufficient movement/flex range which can cause the control arm mounts to be torn away from where they're welded into place by axle movement on uneven trails.

X2, that's what I would have said.

I don't have anything against the arms themselves, I just don't like seeing poly bushings in place of rubber.

The issue is, I'm not 100% certain who makes rubber bushing control arms, as all my experience (other than stock arms) is with control arms that use Johnny Joints.

It might actually be worth posting a new thread and titling it something like "who makes control arms with rubber bushings".

Core 4x4 make arms with rubber bushings, but like Jerry and Chris mentioned, it's not desirable to have a solid arm with poly or rubber bushings at both ends. The tier 2 arms at least have a Johnny Joint at one end so it can flex a little.

Core 4x4 make arms with rubber bushings, but like Jerry and Chris mentioned, it's not desirable to have a solid arm with poly or rubber bushings at both ends. The tier 2 arms at least have a Johnny Joint at one end so it can flex a little.

So, are these a good choice for minimal off-roading? Trails and a beach or two? Nothing crazy at all.

The only arms I can think of that use rubber clevite bushings but still allow it to twist like the stock arms are the older JKS adjustables that have a threaded pivot in the center.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
So, are these a good choice for minimal off-roading? Trails and a beach or two? Nothing crazy at all.
Depending on your setup I would say save your money and stick with stock control arms and their c-channel design.

Reactions: SvtLdr
To bring up an old conversation What do you think of these ...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2818293031772342/
C84DB802-0F78-435D-85C8-393FFA73335A.jpg

Let's get a little clarification out there... Steinjager is a US company and the product is made in the US. BUT... They have a very different engineering strategy than most other US MFG's. Those double adjustable lowers would work fine. But, they are heim joints and not at all desirable. Those uppers? If you have a suspension with some travel in it, it's going to go badly. Don't do it...

Core4x4 Tier3 and be happy.

https://www.core4x4.com/product/adjustable-control-arms-front-set-t3-wrangler-tj-1997-2006/

Reactions: Weasellee and Chris
Let's get a little clarification out there... Steinjager is a US company and the product is made in the US. BUT... They have a very different engineering strategy than most other US MFG's. Those double adjustable lowers would work fine. But, they are heim joints and not at all desirable. Those uppers? If you have a suspension with some travel in it, it's going to go badly. Don't do it...

Core4x4 Tier3 and be happy.

https://www.core4x4.com/product/adjustable-control-arms-front-set-t3-wrangler-tj-1997-2006/
Are these “good enough “ ? Or excellent. If I’m buying new i may as well drop another $135 and get the Savvy double adjustable aluminum?? Or is the double adjustable not worth the extra expensive?

It’s not the cost. I enjoy buying secondhand. I have the 4 rear Savvy arms and will soon enough order the front four. Doesn’t hurt to get opinions and ideas. 👍🏼
In that case, my advice would simply be to look for some better second hand control arms 👍

The heim joints on those things ruin it for me.

Are these “good enough “ ? Or excellent. If I’m buying new i may as well drop another $135 and get the Savvy double adjustable aluminum?? Or is the double adjustable not worth the extra expensive?
There are some advantages to double adjustable... But only on that rare occasion that you are making adjustments. Haven't changed mine once since I set it up. Others say they adjust them all the time.

But if you want to compare, go up to the Core4x4 Tier 4 arms with full Johnny Joints in both ends. Excellent control arms.

Reactions: Weasellee