Anyone have experience with air bags?

Imagineer

I need another project like I need a hole in my head, but …

There’s a well-used, late nineties Chevy 1500 W/T 2WD pick-up for sale not too far from my house. It’s got the 4.3L V6 and a 5 speed. It’s got a few mechanical issues (but nothing that would prevent it from being driven home) and will require a fair quantity of rust repair patch panels. I’ll bet I can score it for under $600.

Here’s where it gets interesting… Where I work, we had a project that called for some airbags (yes, the exact type that rodders use on cars & trucks). We ended up not using these and they’ve been sitting in boxes for a few years. I can have them (5 airbags) for free.

So, should I get the truck and in what little spare time I have, convert it to 4 link, C-notch the rear frame and bag it, or forego the whole idea wait for something shiny to distract me?

I think this ultimately depends on whether you want a huge project or not (because I don't think this would be a small project).

Do you have the time, money, and skills to make it happen?

See, if I came upon something like this, I'd spend some time thinking logically about it, and then come to the conclusion that it would end up sitting for a long, long time, and I'd likely never fully finish it. Of course that's just me, and I'm busy with work, kids, etc.

Time - Not really a concern. I can roll it out behind my workshop until I have open schedule for it.
Space - Yes, shop space is always tight, but again, I can move the bed and cab outside until needed.
Skills - I'm sure I can fabricate anything that's needed for this project, plenty of material and welding gear available.
Money - Again, not really a concern. If it starts to look like a money pit with no chance of a positive return, I'll cut the losses and part the thing out.
Knowledge - Here's where I come up woefully short. Sure there's a bunch of web based information, but knowing which to adhere to and which to ignore is the challenge.

Bottom line, I'm going to make an offer for the truck and hopefully the seller is eager to be rid of it.

Hmpph! The little $hit wouldn't budge on price!! He want's $850 for a '93 Chevy 1500 W/T with 170k miles, no options, no working clutch (broken hydraulic line), bad 2nd or 3rd syncros, rotted cab corners & wheel arches and a potentially clogged catalytic converter. According to KBB, the truck is worth $560 max!

Nah...I'm over it. If I go the distance and end up getting a project car or truck to do airbags on, I'd want it to be something odd, or different. Maybe an older Volvo wagon...