Anyone have problems with Mopar 090 filter leaking? Not a RMS thread!

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
I have changed my own oil my entire life. A dozen or so vehicles and countless hundreds of thousands miles and never had an oil filter gasket leak, except for the MO-090 on a Jeep 4.0. This is on two different jeeps and about 12 filters. When I changed oil yesterday I barely got the old filter off because I had to keep tightening it to keep it from leaking last time. This one is leaking also.

Never had an issue. If you take a straight edge to the gasket mating surface, is it flat all around? The only other cause I can think of is if the exposed threads are too short.

Never had an issue. If you take a straight edge to the gasket mating surface, is it flat all around? The only other cause I can think of is if the exposed threads are too short.

I did not check the mating surface beyond giving it a good wipe down. I have had the same issue on two stock low mileage Jeeps.

Wix filter on order.

Reactions: ColoJeep and Rickyd
WIX has been my GO TO oil filter for the past 15 years.
Using a flashlight; do a thorough inspection of the O ring mating surface.
Even a slight imperfection can cause a leak in a pressurized system.
Are you sure the leak is where the oil filter O ring mates ?
The bolt that holds the oil filter screw on mount has a couple O rings that can dry out and crack due the heat of the engine.
On my ‘98 I needed to replace the oil filter mount bolt O rings which required an Allen wrench socket and the assistance of a knowledgeable Jeep Tech (many thanks Mike).

WIX has been my GO TO oil filter for the past 15 years.
Using a flashlight; do a thorough inspection of the O ring mating surface.
Even a slight imperfection can cause a leak in a pressurized system.
Are you sure the leak is where the oil filter O ring mates ?
The bolt that holds the oil filter screw on mount has a couple O rings that can dry out and crack due the heat of the engine.
On my ‘98 I needed to replace the oil filter mount bolt O rings which required an Allen wrench socket and the assistance of a knowledgeable Jeep Tech (many thanks Mike).

I'm not absolutely sure if the oil filter O ring but in the past further tightening with a filter cap tool and ratchet has helped slow then solve the problem. Changed oil yesterday and today is the largest spot of oil I have ever had under it. Not out of control but 4 inches in diameter. A drip a month before that, probably from RMS.

I use Motorcraft on my 4.0 and never leaked a drop. (I read a study where Motorcraft filters were rated very high due to their quality of media and their location of the bypass)

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I'm not absolutely sure if the oil filter O ring but in the past further tightening with a filter cap tool and ratchet has helped slow then solve the problem. Changed oil yesterday and today is the largest spot of oil I have ever had under it. Not out of control but 4 inches in diameter. A drip a month before that, probably from RMS.

When changing the oil filter; once you wipe the O ring mating surface on the adapter and apply a little oil to the oil filter O ring you should only require spinning on the oil filter snug with one hand. The use of a filter cap tool and ratchet should not be required to seal the oil filters O ring to the mating surface.
IF that is required; there is a scratch or other imperfection that is hindering the O ring from sealing properly.

When changing the oil filter; once you wipe the O ring mating surface on the adapter and apply a little oil to the oil filter O ring you should only require spinning on the oil filter snug with one hand. The use of a filter cap tool and ratchet should not be required to seal the oil filters O ring to the mating surface.
IF that is required; there is a scratch or other imperfection that is hindering the O ring from sealing properly.

When I pull the filter to replace I will take a good look at it. Tightening with a filter cap wrench and ratchet IS required to get a good seal and I usually have to do it 2-3 times after each oil change.

When I pull the filter to replace I will take a good look at it. Tightening with a filter cap wrench and ratchet IS required to get a good seal and I usually have to do it 2-3 times after each oil change.

When you are required to crank down on the filter with a ratchet; you risk the chance of deforming the O ring.

I use the mopar 090 and don’t have any problems. But you say this happens across more than one Jeep?
I do have what appears to be a rear main seal leak. Guess I’ll look a bit closer and see if maybe the 090 is the culprit.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Between my son and my daughter, we have 3 Jeeps between us and I do all the oil changes since I have the lift. We always use Mopar 090 and never had an issue with a leak.