Anyone have these tool box organizers?

I've had them - they just fall over. I foamed my toolbox with the sockets in the same vertical position - not everything stays right where it belongs...

Ive used these professionally from Ernst for the last 15+ years.
https://www.ernstmfg.com/Wrench-Organizers.aspx?pi=2Buy them in pairs. One std. configuration and one reverse.

This is what mine look like in one of my wrench drawers.
A465AD70-0322-4C69-92FF-435356373F52.jpeg

The stubby wrenches are held in individual rails that are secured with double sided tape.
I believe now that Ernst sells special racks for these.

Thanks, did you have wrench and sockets?
Yes, I did.

Here is what a couple of my drawers look like now. The ones with the sockets are typically a full set of 6 and 12 sided, metric and imperial, along with a large number of drivers and extensions, all in a single drawer. One of the other pictures has all my 3/8 and 1/2 deep sockets in a single drawer since I use them less often.

A couple things you should know:
1. It is nearly impossible to lose a tool once you foam your drawer since it becomes obvious when something is not in your box - as you'll note in a couple pictures, I took these with tools out and in use.
2. Although it may not seem like it, tools actually take up _less_ space once they are organized.

Doug

Bottom Box Top Drawer.jpg

Middle Box Bottom Drawer.jpg

Middle Box Middle Drawer.jpg

Middle Box Top Drawer.jpg

Top Box Bottom Drawer.jpg

Top Box Middle Drawer.jpg

Top Box Top Drawer.jpg

They are pure crap. I bought two sets, if you want them for free and I'll even pay postage, they are yours. Opened, figured out how much space they waste and have been eyeing them daily to see if they'll hop off the bench into the trash where they belong.
What did you end up using?

Yes, I did.

Here is what a couple of my drawers look like now. The ones with the sockets are typically a full set of 6 and 12 sided, metric and imperial, along with a large number of drivers and extensions, all in a single drawer. One of the other pictures has all my 3/8 and 1/2 deep sockets in a single drawer since I use them less often.

1. It is nearly impossible to lose a tool once you foam your drawer since it becomes obvious when something is not in your box - as you'll note in a couple pictures, I took these with tools out and in use.
2. Although it may not seem like it, tools actually take up _less_ space once they are organized.

Doug

View attachment 256942

View attachment 256943

View attachment 256944

View attachment 256945

View attachment 256946

View attachment 256947

View attachment 256948
I love this setup... Where did you get the foam and how did you cut out the foam?
I see a project in my future!

Yes, I did.

Doug

View attachment 256942

View attachment 256943

View attachment 256944

View attachment 256945

View attachment 256946

View attachment 256947

View attachment 256948
Also curious on the foam process

Reactions: Wildman
I have some rings for sockets that are great for tool bags, but suck for boxes since they're not an easy access sort of thing. I personally like the cheap ass harbor freight $0.99 socket rails the most.

Reactions: Wildman
Yes, I did.

Doug

View attachment 256942

View attachment 256943

View attachment 256944

View attachment 256945

View attachment 256946

View attachment 256947

View attachment 256948
I had my box like that when I was in the military, it works good.

Also curious on the foam process
Well you can have a guy with the correct laser cut them, they charge per tool, exacto knife, or a soldering iron to cut the foam. The laser places charge about $1 per tool to cut plus the cost of the foam. My last job we had a foam laser and they used photoshop program to photograph each tool and then drop them in position. The foam is almost 150 per 4x8 sheet in any color of 1/2” thick.

Reactions: Blondie70
I have some rings for sockets that are great for tool bags, but suck for boxes since they're not an easy access sort of thing. I personally like the cheap ass harbor freight $0.99 socket rails the most.
I use those in my tool chest too, pop rivets hold them on the lid of my trail toolbox as well. I've seen expensive ones with handles but it just seems like a waste of space.
You'd probably shit a brick if you saw my overflow toolbox. Those foam organizers look really helpful for keeping track of your tools but as far as space they remind me of those blow molded toolboxes. I don't have space for that.

With metal tools I think you can torch them and set them in certain types of foam to make the cutouts. Matt at bleepinjeep has a video showing the process, I'm sure others have done similar.

Ive used these professionally from Ernst for the last 15+ years.
https://www.ernstmfg.com/Wrench-Organizers.aspx?pi=2Buy them in pairs. One std. configuration and one reverse.

This is what mine look like in one of my wrench drawers.
View attachment 256863

The stubby wrenches are held in individual rails that are secured with double sided tape.
I believe now that Ernst sells special racks for these.
These won’t work for me because I have a few duplicates that I need to be able to inventory and the are designed for one of each size

I bought a set of those years ago, they suck. Like @mrblaine said, they just tip over at the most gentle of drawer closings. I ended up taking a scrap piece of project board, drilled a bunch of holes in a line across it, then cut 1" dowel pieces & glued them in there to make a post for the sockets. It's worked great for me going on about 15 years now.

For my mobile cart I screwed a few magnet rails to a piece of wood & I have sockets lined up in there. That actually works much better because the sockets don't go anywhere at all. One of these days I'll do the same thing to my roll aways.

As far as the foam goes, no thanks. We do it in the aircraft industry for maintenance boxes, but those boxes get pushed all over God's green earth on a regular basis, and that particular system is also needed for tool accountability. After every job each tool needs to be back in the box & accounted for so we know nothing got left in a jet. Doesn't really translate to my garage. I personally use, break, & change tools way to often to have to deal with cutting foam every time I add something that's a slightly different shape. Also I'm busy & if I leave a set of vice grips somewhere I can't remember I don't really care.

I bought a set of those years ago, they suck. Like @mrblaine said, they just tip over at the most gentle of drawer closings. I ended up taking a scrap piece of project board, drilled a bunch of holes in a line across it, then cut 1" dowel pieces & glued them in there to make a post for the sockets. It's worked great for me going on about 15 years now.

For my mobile cart I screwed a few magnet rails to a piece of wood & I have sockets lined up in there. That actually works much better because the sockets don't go anywhere at all. One of these days I'll do the same thing to my roll aways.

As far as the foam goes, no thanks. We do it in the aircraft industry for maintenance boxes, but those boxes get pushed all over God's green earth on a regular basis, and that particular system is also needed for tool accountability. After every job each tool needs to be back in the box & accounted for so we know nothing got left in a jet. Doesn't really translate to my garage. I personally use, break, & change tools way to often to have to deal with cutting foam every time I add something that's a slightly different shape. Also I'm busy & if I leave a set of vice grips somewhere I can't remember I don't really care.
This is my industry and I do need food control

This is my industry and I do need food control
Lol food control. I know what you mean. Forgot you're an airplane guy. Never leave a sandwich in the intake.