Anyone here impacted by the Mendocino fire?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Just curious since we have a ton of members on here from California. Are any of you being impacted by this massive fire (which I read is now the second largest in California history)?

I imagine that even if you aren't, the skies are smoky and hazy as can be.

That's how it was here last Summer with that fire in Canada. The smoke was blowing down our way and I remember how hazy the sky was for almost a month!

I’m about 80 miles from it. Smoky and ashes constantly raining down on everything. Been smoky for most of the summer with all the fires. Also about 80 miles from the Carr fire.

I’m about 80 miles from it. Smoky and ashes constantly raining down on everything. Been smoky for most of the summer with all the fires. Also about 80 miles from the Carr fire.

Damn, at least you've got some distance from the fires, so you're probably safe.

That reminds me of last Summer up here in Oregon with the fires.

Definitely a safe distance away. The air quality is extremely poor.

Reactions: Chris
I was. Was ordered for mandatory evacuation. They came by with sirens and cops on PA systems. We stayed...wanted to water down our place with all the ash falling to help keep our home from burning. Then they shut our power off. Stayed to protect our property from looters. 19 looters were arrested.
IMG_20180729_170534755_HDR.jpg

I was. Was ordered for mandatory evacuation. They came by with sirens and cops on PA systems. We stayed...wanted to water down our place with all the ash falling to help keep our home from burning. Then they shut our power off. Stayed to protect our property from looters. 19 looters were arrested.View attachment 50437

How far away is the fire from you?

We are still evacuatated from our homes. Been in our RV for 8 days now waiting for them to lift the evac orders. It came close to our neighborhood, but fire crews are holding the line at the ridge east of us. This is the Ranch fire, which is in the north east part of the county. The two fires came close to merging.

https://firemap.sdsc.edu/

Man they said this is on the way to be the biggest fire in California history!

Man they said this is on the way to be the biggest fire in California history!

Pretty sure it will be by the time they have full containment. It is very sad. Most of our stomping ground in the national forest is now an ash tray.

Pretty sure it will be by the time they have full containment. It is very sad. Most of our stomping ground in the national forest is now an ash tray.

That is really sad indeed. And next year it will just be another fire.

Damn, my heart goes out to everyone out in Cali right now. Not only is such a beautiful part of the US being destroyed, but so many people are losing so much of their livelihood. Just stay safe out there.

I was evacuated from the Carr Fire about 160 miles north of the Mendocino fires on 7/26. Our neighborhood had 5 minutes notice to get out after the fire jumped the Sacramento River. The flames were already visible at the end of the street. I got away with my dog, my jeep, and the clothes on my back.

This is what I returned to on Saturday 8/4 (photo from the Record Searchlight newspaper). My house is the one with the red roof in the upper left behind the charred row of 50' Italian cypress trees and has been referred to by many as a "miracle house." Some say I was lucky; I say I was blessed.

636686708450431433-AerialFireDamage-14.jpg

It's been like this in our area the past 5 years, with each summer a holocaust of some sort. It's ok spotted owl lovers, you can rest assure that your efforts to protest control burns has wiped out the population.

Is it just me, or is it getting worse each year? It sure seems like it is.

I was evacuated from the Carr Fire about 160 miles north of the Mendocino fires on 7/26. Our neighborhood had 5 minutes notice to get out after the fire jumped the Sacramento River. The flames were already visible at the end of the street. I got away with my dog, my jeep, and the clothes on my back.

This is what I returned to on Saturday 8/4 (photo from the Record Searchlight newspaper). My house is the one with the red roof in the upper left behind the charred row of 50' Italian cypress trees and has been referred to by many as a "miracle house." Some say I was lucky; I say I was blessed.

View attachment 50452

Wow, I'm glad you made it out okay! That's a miracle, as it appears the house behind you burned down entirely?

I'm hoping that most of these people's home owners insurance covers fires.

View attachment 50452
Call it Luck or call it blessed....either way, you still have a home.

I was listening to an interesting podcast recently about design changes to homes/landscapes for fires and how it can actually make a huge difference even in huge fire zones (often houses burn from blowing embers vs the fire itself).

Wondering if you guys do anything specifically knowing fires are fairly common up there?