Anyone know how to disable the key-on chime on a 2000 SE?

Blondie70

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Anyone know how to disable the key-on chime on a 2000 SE ? I can't hear the fuel pump come on with the racket going on from the chime. Don't mind the lights on the dash...it's just the noise I want to stop.
Thanks, Pete

There are several ways to disable the chime; remove fuse 4(bottom right) fuse block behind the glove compartment door, pull the offending door pin switch out and disconnect the ground wire or wire in a switch to defeat the door switch.

Reactions: Tob
Thank you. I had both door switches shoved in fully. The chime still sounds. Nothing on the dash refers to doors open. I will try pulling fuse 4 tomorrow to see if that works.
Thanks

In great sadistic pleasure I used a pair of pliers to slowly twist the Sonalert that makes that chime off the instrument cluster circuit board. Voila, no more chiming. It's easy to get if you know how to use a philips screwdriver to remove the cluster. I can post a photo tomorrow if you want.

Ha ha.....what do I do...unhook battery, unscrew phillips around dash...pull out dash and rip off the little bugger ??? is it blue ?
Thanks much

No need to disco the battery. The Sonalert is a small round short cylinder soldered onto the circuit board via two wires. Just twist it off with a pair of pliers.

CIMG3828.JPG
CIMG3829.JPG

Got 'er done. Did not need to take back off dash...stuck one side of needle nose pliers in hole in squeaker and was able to twist it off and out. Easy job.
Thanks Jerry for the how to. I would have never found that thing or have known what it was even. Nice and quiet now on startup....thanks a million !!!!!!!!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I've done the same thing Jerry did on my TJ, two of my previous XJs, and a friend's XJ with no issues. So glad to no longer have the chime, it was one of the first things I did when I bought my TJ.

Reactions: Blondie70
If I tear off that sonalert off the circuit board, will it affect the car alarm?. Have 2005 LJ. Just want to get rid the the dinging.