Anyone know what these rims / tires would be worth?

JeepinK4

Anyone know what these would be worth? 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Tomb Raider Edition forged aluminum ALCOA rims 16x8 with Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2s 285/75r16 on 4 of them and the 5th rim has a Goodyear MT 245/75r16 that is brand new. Tires have alot of tread and rims look good for being 16 years old. They could use a good polish and the clear is starting to flake around lug nut area but its not terrible. One rim has a couple other areas where clearcoat is coming off. I was told you could strip the clear off these and polish them up! 20190104_153623.jpg20190104_153430.jpg20190104_152956.jpg20190104_153213.jpg20190104_152740.jpg20190104_153003.jpg20190104_152936.jpg20190104_151323.jpg20190104_151334.jpg20190104_151818.jpg

How old are the tires? What is the production date on them? After 7 years, tires are no longer good, even if they have never been driven on.

Reactions: B252
Ok looks like 2011 on 1,2012 on another and 2013 on the last 2.

Okay, those tires from 2011 are no longer good or safe to drive on technically (they say that’s how Paul Walker died).

I’m only putting that out there because I would subtract the bad tires from the price.

I would personally only pay for the wheels at this point, so maybe $300 for the wheels? You might be able to get more, but I’m not sure.

With good tires you could probably get up to $700 more, but anyone who knows what to look for in used tires wouldn’t pay a dime for tires that old.

I guess you could bank on the fact that the wheels aren’t that common and try and ask $500, but factory Jeep take-off wheels regularly sell for around $200-$400 for complete sets in great condition.

Okay, those tires from 2011 are no longer good or safe to drive on technically (they say that’s how Paul Walker died).

I’m only putting that out there because I would subtract the bad tires from the price.

I would personally only pay for the wheels at this point, so maybe $300 for the wheels? You might be able to get more, but I’m not sure.

With good tires you could probably get up to $700 more, but anyone who knows what to look for in used tires wouldn’t pay a dime for tires that old.

I guess you could bank on the fact that the wheels aren’t that common and try and ask $500, but factory Jeep take-off wheels regularly sell for around $200-$400 for complete sets in great condition.

Thanks for your help. They came with my Tomb Raider along with a set of 2017 Rubicon takeoffs which are currently mounted when i bought it. I decided that im just gonna ride on the Rubicon wheels till i need new tires and then look at buying new rims/tires at that time.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for your help. They came with my Tomb Raider along with a set of 2017 Rubicon takeoffs which are currently mounted when i bought it. I decided that im just gonna ride on the Rubicon wheels till i need new tires and then look at buying new rims/tires at that time.

Not a bad idea. I actually like those wheels, they look good!

Reactions: JeepinK4
It's tough to price these things, I'm in a similar situation. I have 5 good condition Ravines off my 2005 TJ and I am not sure how to price them when I put them up for sale in the Spring. Of the 5, 4 have tires that are OK but getting a little old. The spare was unused and still has the original stock Goodyear tire on it. So, I'll most likely give the tires away for free. My thinking has been this. I bought brand new similar quality rims from Tirerack for $88/each and no tax (aluminum, same weight, same manufacture process etc). Let's say $100 each for argument sake since I did also pay shipping. With that in mind, I'm thinking of selling the 5 Ravine wheels for $200-$250. $40-50 each sounds fair for used wheels in good condition (and free tires that will get the buyer to the tire shop within in the next few months or so).

I'm thinking of selling the 5 Ravine wheels for $200-$250. $40-50 each sounds fair for used wheels in good condition
I think that's a pretty common (and fair) range to price OEM wheels. It works out that way for many makes and models, I've found, with some exceptions, of course (I've seen 1-year only AMC "Machine" steel wheels go for up to $4,000 for a mint set!). When I look for OEM wheels, I typically expect to pay within the price range you mentioned for a clean, full set.

Reactions: JeepinK4 and mots
How old are the tires? What is the production date on them? After 7 years, tires are no longer good, even if they have never been driven on.

What’s the basis for a 7 year max life on tires? The rate of degradation of rubber seems like it would be heavily dependent upon how the tires were cared for, how the vehicle has been used, local climate, whether a vehicle was stored in a garage, etc.

What’s the basis for a 7 year max life on tires? The rate of degradation of rubber seems like it would be heavily dependent upon how the tires were cared for, how the vehicle has been used, local climate, whether a vehicle was stored in a garage, etc.

Check this out:
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-aging

If you owned a tire it's entire life (let's say 7 years), and it was kept in a garage, never left in the sun, never raced, etc., then chances are they would technically be okay to drive on.

However, when buying used tires, what can you go buy? The sellers word? Well, I suppose if you trusted them. I would never in a million years pay good money for a set of used tires (even with 90% tread on them) if I found that the production date on them was over 6 years old. At that point the seller could be listing them as "new" tires, but they really aren't new by any means, regardless of tread depth.

Anyways, that article explains it in detail. Things such as driving type, sun exposure, and other factors definitely age a tire faster. I was mostly speaking from a buyers point of view. Whenever I sell wheels and tires, most of the time I get buyers who ask me what the production dates are on the tires.

Reactions: mots
It's tough to price these things, I'm in a similar situation. I have 5 good condition Ravines off my 2005 TJ and I am not sure how to price them when I put them up for sale in the Spring. Of the 5, 4 have tires that are OK but getting a little old. The spare was unused and still has the original stock Goodyear tire on it. So, I'll most likely give the tires away for free. My thinking has been this. I bought brand new similar quality rims from Tirerack for $88/each and no tax (aluminum, same weight, same manufacture process etc). Let's say $100 each for argument sake since I did also pay shipping. With that in mind, I'm thinking of selling the 5 Ravine wheels for $200-$250. $40-50 each sounds fair for used wheels in good condition (and free tires that will get the buyer to the tire shop within in the next few months or so).
I just sold them for $400 locally to a guy wanting the rims. I think you should have no problem at 200-250

Reactions: mots
Check this out:
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-aging

If you owned a tire it's entire life (let's say 7 years), and it was kept in a garage, never left in the sun, never raced, etc., then chances are they would technically be okay to drive on.

However, when buying used tires, what can you go buy? The sellers word? Well, I suppose if you trusted them. I would never in a million years pay good money for a set of used tires (even with 90% tread on them) if I found that the production date on them was over 6 years old. At that point the seller could be listing them as "new" tires, but they really aren't new by any means, regardless of tread depth.

Anyways, that article explains it in detail. Things such as driving type, sun exposure, and other factors definitely age a tire faster. I was mostly speaking from a buyers point of view. Whenever I sell wheels and tires, most of the time I get buyers who ask me what the production dates are on the tires.

Interesting. I was looking around and found this as well:

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2014_Tire_Safety_SYM_Panel_4b_Kane.pdf

Like you say, looks like quite a few studies done on it and 6 years is the safe number although if it’s your own tires and you are in a cold weather state, garage them, etc, they will probably last longer. I also have had tires with dry rot that formed when they were 3 years old so even then you have to be careful.

Those are great wheels, Alcoa forged - very light and tough as nails. I'm sure you will find a good home for them. Lots of Jeepers would love to have a set of forged wheels.

Rims look familiar! Working on the farm semi this week. Yes they would strip and polish nice.

Regarding the 7 year life....I'm replacing 8 drive tires on the semi. Bought this truck 1 year ago. They're all recaps now. Oldest casing is 2004 (able to vote in 3 years!) newest is 2009. One tire does have a bulge.

Now in my case this truck is going to get 3000 miles a year and be in a shed when it's not used seasonallly. I'm buying new tires as I don't want to start out with 5 year old casings as the casings will rot away before the tread is worn.

IMG_4794.JPG

Interesting. I was looking around and found this as well:

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2014_Tire_Safety_SYM_Panel_4b_Kane.pdf

Like you say, looks like quite a few studies done on it and 6 years is the safe number although if it’s your own tires and you are in a cold weather state, garage them, etc, they will probably last longer. I also have had tires with dry rot that formed when they were 3 years old so even then you have to be careful.

Yep, you just have to be careful. I've driven on tires that were well past 7 years old, but I knew the history behind them, as they had been my tires all along.

Not to mention I wasn't driving on them at high speeds. The story is that Paul Walker when he died was in that Porsche his friend was driving, and the tires were well over 7 years old (the car had been sitting in a garage most of it's life). With the speed they were going and the type of driving they were doing, they mentioned that there were signs that the tires gave out on them, causing them lose control and wreck.

Of course they were doing some high speed, dangerous driving (which they shouldn't have been doing), but it's something to consider.

Bottom line, I always look very carefully for the production date if and when I buy a set of used tires. There's people online who are probably trying to pass off 7 year old tires with 95% tread on them as "brand new", when in reality they are anything but.

Of course it's worse if the vehicle is in a state like Arizona and has sat outside in the sun all of its life.