Anyone know who provides Mopar thermostat?

Joseph

TJ Enthusiast
Long story short, ordered a Mopar thermostat off Rockauto for $25.
The one I was sent was labeled “Motorad” on the tstat and the package/wrapping (labeled Mopar) it came in was already opened covered in grease.
I went to advance auto today to check, and sure enough I can get an identical Motorad thermostat for $8.

Is Motorad the provider for Mopar thermostats? Or did someone pick up a Motorad after getting their Mopar and ship it back to Rockauto?
Regardless it’s in the Jeep and she’s on the road which is all that really matters. Just curious as I know Mopar will outsource for some parts

The one I was sent was labeled “Motorad” on the tstat and the package/wrapping (labeled Mopar) it came in was already opened covered in grease.
I went to advance auto today to check, and sure enough I can get an identical Motorad thermostat for $8.

Is Motorad the provider for Mopar thermostats? Or did someone pick up a Motorad after getting their Mopar and ship it back to Rockauto?
Regardless it’s in the Jeep and she’s on the road which is all that really matters. Just curious as I know Mopar will outsource for some parts

Same thing happened to me so I sent it back to Rockauto and ordered one from Moparparts and they also sent me a Motorad thermostat so I just installed it. I’m thinking it’s just another part for our TJs that Mopar probably stopped making.

The part at NAPA is a fail safe Thermostat. It has the to inner clips and the Mopar version does not. I noticed the inner part of the thermostat us also stamped with a number and the NAPA part isn't.

So there are some differences and when they manufacturer a part, it can be of a higher quality, you can't just stereotype a brand name. It's just like a car MFG they make good autos and bad ones.

Shot this video yesterday-

Last edited:
The part at NAPA is a fail safe Thermostat. It has the to inner clips and the Mopar version does not. I noticed the inner part of the thermostat us also stamped with a number and the NAPA part isn't.

So there are some differences and when they manufacturer a part, it can be of a higher quality, you can't just stereotype a brand name. It's just like a car MFG they make good autos and bad ones.

Shot this video yesterday-
A fail safe thermostat is not fail safe. In fact, they tend to far too easily fail in the open position which disables the thermostat. I would never install a fail safe thermostat. It has been nearly 20 years since I had a conventional thermostat get stuck in the closed position.

A fail safe thermostat is not fail safe. In fact, they tend to far too easily fail in the open position which disables the thermostat. I would never install a fail safe thermostat. It has been nearly 20 years since I had a conventional thermostat get stuck in the closed position.
I'm not a mechanic, and last November, I had to idea that they even made fail-safe Thermostats. :) This was great information I learned here. Also, as seen in the video, you will see that Motorad makes the MOPAR part but is does not have those inner-metal tabs to keep the thermostat open. I suspect when my radiator failed, it triggered that fail-safe feature on the 5-month on the thermostat.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford