Anyone purchased a remanufactured transmission from Bestbuy Transmission?

I was curious myself as I am having issues with my current transmission. Popping out of gear going down the road or stalling out when at a stop. Google review is a 4.6 out of 5 on 80 reviews I believe. BBB rating of A-, so they look okay. If you do go this way let me know.

Reactions: Jerry Little
I was curious myself as I am having issues with my current transmission. Popping out of gear going down the road or stalling out when at a stop. Google review is a 4.6 out of 5 on 80 reviews I believe. BBB rating of A-, so they look okay. If you do go this way let me know.
BBB ratings are bought, if you are not a member (which is expensive) no BBB rating

@Jerry Bransford and @Wranglerfix, curious what your thoughts are on this company.

My biggest concern is them not showing ATF+4 as their recommended fluid, but I'm only going off of what's recommended from the FSM.

22F6C66B-9851-48CC-B294-6A509A0CD87E.jpeg

Last edited:
BBB ratings are bought, if you are not a member (which is expensive) no BBB rating
BBB is gamed for sure; however, you can absolutely have an A+ rating without paying a dime. Ask me how I know.

I'd never give BBB or Duns & Bradstreet anything because doing so is likely foolish.

Sheep rely on the blessing from entities like BBB or Carfax as a way to justify their purchase decision. While companies like this prey on the laziness of people and people who can't/won't take the time to properly research.

The art of researching largely involves the skill of learning whose opinion you can trust, and if their reasoning is not only accurate but also in line with your priorities/needs for that particular subject.

@Jerry Bransford and @Wranglerfix, curious what your thoughts are on this company.
I believe my transmission is on its way out.

My focus is now on how to proceed with getting a properly running transmission.

Current options

(1) Get my transmission rebuilt to OEM (supposedly) spec locally for $2100 on the low side to $2600 on the high side (this was the quote I was given); or

(2) Purchase a remanufactured transmission from Best Buy and have the local shop install it. The BB option is about $2,000 shipped, and then I'll have to find out the cost for the install. (DIY install is not an option right now). However, the BB warranty (not including labor) is for 5 years.

I'll call the local shop and ask them what they do for the OEM rebuilt and then compare that to the Best Buy option, but I'm curious what your thoughts are on this. Sadly, I know very little about this transmission.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wranglerfix
If you buy a transmission from the internet and have a local shop install it, the shop won't stand by the transmission. This means if there are issues you'd be responsible for working with the transmission provider to warranty it, including paying for removing and replacing (R&R) it. In my experience, this can be problematic.

If you have a local shop rebuild and R&R it, they will be much easier to deal with, in the event there are issues. As far as the transmission goes, the stock 42RLE isn't especially strong, but can last, provided you keep them cool. If you're looking to see what can be done to them, ATS provides what they call a "performance" transmission. To be clear, I haven't personally installed one of these, but did look at them when considering installing a stroker motor. I called them and they were very knowledgeable about this particular transmission.

You could always call them and see what they say about their warranty, and whether they cover R&R costs. Just be advised that anyplace you buy from on the internet will require a core, meaning you'll have a significant core charge.

https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats-42rle-performance-transmission-assembly-4wd-2003-2006-jeep-4-0l

If you buy a transmission from the internet and have a local shop install it, the shop won't stand by the transmission. This means if there are issues you'd be responsible for working with the transmission provider to warranty it, including paying for removing and replacing (R&R) it. In my experience, this can be problematic.

If you have a local shop rebuild and R&R it, they will be much easier to deal with, in the event there are issues. As far as the transmission goes, the stock 42RLE isn't especially strong, but can last, provided you keep them cool. If you're looking to see what can be done to them, ATS provides what they call a "performance" transmission. To be clear, I haven't personally installed one of these, but did look at them when considering installing a stroker motor. I called them and they were very knowledgeable about this particular transmission.

You could always call them and see what they say about their warranty, and whether they cover R&R costs. Just be advised that anyplace you buy from on the internet will require a core, meaning you'll have a significant core charge.

https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats-42rle-performance-transmission-assembly-4wd-2003-2006-jeep-4-0l
I’ve personally had ATS build me a 42RLE. Ran it behind a supercharged I6 for years with no problems. They do upgrade the internals, and it does wind up being a much stronger and more durable transmission - I smoked the stock 42’ behind that same engine. But, they can’t fix the overdrive and shift point issues.

All that having been said - it’s likely the most expensive option out there. But, ATS does know their stuff. I’m currently running an ATS 545RFE Stage 4 build behind my 382 Hemi. Man, I thought the 42’ was expensive….🙃

I’ve personally had ATS build me a 42RLE. Ran it behind a supercharged I6 for years with no problems. They do upgrade the internals, and it does wind up being a much stronger and more durable transmission - I smoked the stock 42’ behind that same engine. But, they can’t fix the overdrive and shift point issues.

All that having been said - it’s likely the most expensive option out there. But, ATS does know their stuff. I’m currently running an ATS 545RFE Stage 4 build behind my 382 Hemi. Man, I thought the 42’ was expensive….🙃
Time for a vacation and a NashvilleTJ co-pilot ride along. (y)
ps. My last vacation was during the O.J. murders. I'm due for another.

This is good to hear. I'm going to be needing an updated 42RLE, before I even consider installing a stroker. If not, I'm sure the stock 42RLE, with 130K, would not last long. FWIW, I'm no expert, but have rebuilt a few transmissions for myself. When I talked to ATS, it was clear they knew their stuff.

This is good to hear. I'm going to be needing an updated 42RLE, before I even consider installing a stroker. If not, I'm sure the stock 42RLE, with 130K, would not last long. FWIW, I'm no expert, but have rebuilt a few transmissions for myself. When I talked to ATS, it was clear they knew their stuff.
To my surprise, Golen's owner told me you can run the stock 42RLE with their 4.6 stroker engine.

Last edited:

Excellent point.

One thing worth noting is that I may not live in Tucson after next summer, so an online warranty may do more for me than a shop's warranty that is no longer local to me.

Reactions: Irun
I will suggest, from my terrible experience buying from an online reman shop —deal locally, if you can. YMMV and others may have had good experiences, but I lost money and a lot of time dealing with a crap shoot eBay store that apparently had "good reviews". Thank God for BOA and that I used their credit card, because they reimbursed me a huge chunk of the expense and covered me when the retailer asked for a 20% restocking fee. Total scumbags.

I finally ended up buying local (to me) via Rockland Standard Gear, NY. Drove to them, picked up my AX-15 and haven't looked back since.

Reactions: MikeE024 and Irun