Anyone running a Dynatrac ProRock 44?

04RubiOR

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve got a 04 Rubicon and 35’s stock axles. Want to go with 37’s eventually. This is my DD. Can’t afford a $7000 front Dana 60. Curious if anyone can recommend a Dynatrac ProRock 44? I understand you have to reuse your stock knuckle and outer axle shafts. I have the Vanco big brake kit which came with a nodular iron knuckles. I also understand you have to use a jk Dana 44 r&p and locker. If I upgrade to chromoly shafts outer and inner, plus jk Dana 44 r&p (I understand them to be stronger than tj Dana 44) this seems to be much cheaper then a Dana 60. Is the benefit in strength worth it? Will it run 37’s no problem? Thanks for any feedback.

I’ve got a 04 Rubicon and 35’s stock axles. Want to go with 37’s eventually. This is my DD. Can’t afford a $7000 front Dana 60. Curious if anyone can recommend a Dynatrac ProRock 44? I understand you have to reuse your stock knuckle and outer axle shafts. I have the Vanco big brake kit which came with a nodular iron knuckles. I also understand you have to use a jk Dana 44 r&p and locker. If I upgrade to chromoly shafts outer and inner, plus jk Dana 44 r&p (I understand them to be stronger than tj Dana 44) this seems to be much cheaper then a Dana 60. Is the benefit in strength worth it? Will it run 37’s no problem? Thanks for any feedback.
If you can't afford the right axle you can't afford 37's.

So......Dynatrac claims this will run 37’s. I take it you disagree.

It’s my understanding that the jk Dana 44 axles are larger, R&p are stronger, and larger u joints. Combine that with the stronger axle housing, you don’t think this is a strong enough setup for 37’s?

Last edited:
So......Dynatrac claims this will run 37’s. I take it you disagree.

It’s my understanding that the jk Dana 44 axles are larger, R&p are stronger, and larger u joints. Combine that with the stronger axle housing, you don’t think this is a strong enough setup for 37’s?
What typically fails when you use 37's with some enthusiasm?

I’m no expert, but would it by the outer axle? Just asking for clarification as like I said I’m not an expert. Maybe ujoint?
Balljoints, specifically the upper is very problematic. Dynatrac has a 600 dollar set they put in the JK knuckles. I don't know if they make them for the TJ knuckle but the fact that a 600 dollar set of balljoints even exists should tell you something.

We wound up with them in a JK front very built axle on 37's after going through the stock ones, a set of Spicer, a set of Synergy, and then the Dynatrac versions and we have rebuilt them once.

The same axle has gone through alloy axles with stock size high strength u-joints, high strength with JK u-joints, and now runs RCVs which after a bit are clicking which is not under warranty.

It has gone through 3 sets of rear axles, 2 of which were Revolution, then he killed the factory locker, it was replaced with a 35 spline ARB and 35 spline shafts.

Add it all up if you aren't doing it yourself and the cost to keep them going has exceeded what a good front would have cost.

Makes since. Appreciate the info. Thought maybe the ProRock 44 would be a nice compromise. Not interested in running 40’s, so wasn’t wanting to spend a fortune on a Dana 60. Hoping the cheaper Dynatrac would be sufficient.

Makes since. Appreciate the info. Thought maybe the ProRock 44 would be a nice compromise. Not interested in running 40’s, so wasn’t wanting to spend a fortune on a Dana 60. Hoping the cheaper Dynatrac would be sufficient.
I have a love hate relationship with 37's. By the time you build a rig that can run them with the same level of reliability and relative strength that the stock axles with some upgrades will easily endure running 35's, you are but the cost difference between 37's and 40" tires of being able to run the 40's.

There are lots of folks that do it on stock axles and I know of many who "get away" with it. Our experience is vastly different and I have never been able to figure out why unless the obvious is the answer which is they don't tell us what they are fixing when no one is looking.

I will tell you that the one I mentioned above is used hard and often and that may be the difference.

Reactions: 04RubiOR