Anyone suffer from Gout?

Kevin Q

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm on day 20 of my latest gout flare up. This one has been among the worst. I actually needed to order crutches from Walgreens and they delivered them via grubhub. That night I dreaded having to climb my steps to get to my bedroom. It seems that I have a flare up every May when the weather warms up. Since May 15th I have only worn shoes for under 1 hour. I struggle to get flip flops on.

If you are reading this and don't know what gout it I will give you a quick lesson. Gout is caused by elevated uric acid levels. Picture the uric acid being very fine flour. Now when your uric acid remains high OR drops very quickly it causes swelling. It tends to build up in the knuckle of your big toe. Now that very fine flour swells and separates your toe knuckle. I've broken bones, had stitches, and separated both shoulders. This is the most excruciating pain I've ever felt. What brings going on? Many things and it differs from person to person. Causes include: Spinach, Asparagus, Red Meat, Beans, Beer, Brown Liquor, Soda, Sugary Drinks, being fat, etc.

Curious who else has it and how you handle it?

Yes, but I've had it under control for the last 4 years (knock wood). I can relate to how you're feeling.

Are you getting any treatment? Have you experimented with diet?

Yes, but I've had it under control for the last 4 years (knock wood). I can relate to how you're feeling.

Are you getting any treatment? Have you experimented with diet?

I was on Allopurinol for a bit. Went away for a long weekend and ran out of the meds. When I restarted my foot blew up bad. I know I cannot eat shell fish. I don't normally eat red meat. I do love beer and over indulged. I also had big steaks on Mother's Day that I made for my MIL and Wife.

I was on Allopurinol for a bit. Went away for a long weekend and ran out of the meds. When I restarted my foot blew up bad. I know I cannot eat shell fish. I don't normally eat red meat. I do love beer and over indulged. I also had big steaks on Mother's Day that I made for my MIL and Wife.
How long have you been on it? Does your doc have you come in every once in a while to check your uric acid levels?

I ask because each person is different and needs a different dosage. It can take some time to get it dialed in. Definitely don't stop taking it; it's a maintenance med and works best when you keep the level consistent.

I keep some Colchicine around just in case because it's the only thing that has helped me for flareups (NSAIDs did not help).

Last edited:
I haven't been on it for years. That experience was while I was living in Europe. Will be going on it in a few weeks. Have script to get blood work again. I was at 9 a few months ago. I'm taking Naproxin now and it's helping. I'm trying to lose about 50# by eating better and cutting back on beer.

I had very bad gout. Had steroid injection as well as oral steroid that fixed it temporarily. Doc told me to take Allopurinol, said there are really no side affects. I'll take it forever if it works and it has for over 18 months now. Apparently you MUST take it daily or will cause problems. I have not missed a day.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I haven't been on it for years. That experience was while I was living in Europe. Will be going on it in a few weeks. Have script to get blood work again. I was at 9 a few months ago. I'm taking Naproxin now and it's helping. I'm trying to lose about 50# by eating better and cutting back on beer.
9 is for sure no good. I have a buddy with gout who eats and drinks whatever he wants. His doc just raises his dosage as needed. The most important thing is to have someone monitor your levels and get your dosage dialed in.

Meantime, ask your doc for some Colchicine to see if it works as well for you as it does for me for flareups. Best wishes for a quick return to normal. I know the pain is no joke.

This^^^. I've been on Allopurinol for about 16-18 years. I get my blood checked every 6 months. I eat and drink what I want, no restrictions. Although I typically eat pretty healthy from about April until November. But I include red meat and beer in that "healthy" eating...lol. I too have Colchicine for the occasional flare up (which I haven't had in several years...knock on wood). I also had bunion surgery last February.

Ain't it fun getting old. I wans't much past 30, if I was, when I had to get on it. Before that, I had also broken my big toe several times.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
My father had it pretty bad... I had my first bout when I was about 40 and it was mild. I've had it a couple times since and while I thought it was bad by gout's typical measure they were moderate outbreaks.

While eating meats is the common connection.... especially "organ" meat there is a lot of the purine protein in things like Kale, Asparagus and Romain lettuce. Dehydration (especially caused by alcohol) is another trigger.

My father used probenecid daily. It didn't work for me and neither did the Allopurinol. Luckily, over the last number of years I've not had a flair up.

Thanks for the tips. Doc and I talked about Colchicine. He said they used to tell patients with flare ups to take it till they puked. Evidently it can be really rough on your stomach.

I've been eating cherries daily and have tart cherry concentrate I drink 2-3 glasses of a day.

Reactions: Apparition
I’ve never had it, but I will tell an embarrassing story about my self that I’ve only told a few people in my life until now. when I was younger, I though gout was an STD. No idea why, I just thought it was. I was in my mid to late 20‘s before I really knew what it was. My Assistant Flight Chief was in the office one day talking about how bad his gout was to another NCO. I remember thinking damn, he’s just talking about it like it’s nothing. I’m so glad I never opened my mouth and said something stupid, I would have never lived that down, and deservingly so. LOL

I never told anyone that until I told my current wife about 10 years ago when we were sharing different stories of our careers. She’s a nurse and she died laughing at me for thinking that. Now, anytime a commercial or anything comes up about gout, she looks at me and laughs a little, which gets me laughing too.

I‘m sorry y’all are having to deal with gout, but I hope my story made you laugh too for a little bit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. Doc and I talked about Colchicine. He said they used to tell patients with flare ups to take it till they puked. Evidently it can be really rough on your stomach.

I've been eating cherries daily and have tart cherry concentrate I drink 2-3 glasses of a day.
It’s a botanical extract from a crocus and it can mess up your gastrointestinal tract if you don’t follow the instructions. I think the only reason my doc prescribed it to me is because NSAIDs didn’t help with my flare up pain.

Good friend of mine, former business partner and next door neighbor cop all have gout pretty bad.. all on allipurinol and back to eating rich mans food as they say. They all seem to keep tabs on what they’re doing, not to overindulge but since on the meds all seem back to normal for the most part.

I’ve had gout for about 25 years. It started in my 20s. I’ve tried everything, the cherries, the apple cider vinegar, no alcohol, no shellfish… none of it worked. Actually, the apple cider vinegar worked some, but I hate drinking it. I can’t tell you how many shots I’ve had because I couldn’t walk. I was on Allopurinol in the beginning, for about 8 years but it didn’t seem to make a difference. So I stopped taking it and just dealt with it.

Finally, I had enough and got a new doctor and she put me back on Allopurinol and sent me to a rheumatologist because she thought it was pseudogout (still a type of arthritis, but not gout). Anyway, the rheumatologist said no, it’s gout, just up your Allopurinol. I’m at 1.5 pills now and will go to 2 if needed.

You have to get your UA under 5, and keep it there, period. But Allopurinol will bring on the gout for the first few months, but stick it out. Colchicine works good (2 pills then 1 an hour later), if you take it at the first sign of gout. Prednisone is great, but pretty bad stuff evidently, so I take that rarely. I have gout in my left heal right now, limping. I took some Colchicine, hopefully I got in time.

The best thing to do is get a device called UASure (amazon). It’s a little expensive, but jeep people are used to spending money, lol. It gives you your AU count instantly, like a blood sugar tester. You can then see what foods/drinks increase your UA and if you should increase the Allopurinol (after talking with your Dr of course).

Good luck.
David

Reactions: Kevin Q and Ron505
Called a couple of weeks ago to get an appointment to get new Allopurinol prescription. They said first available appt July 16 so I had my neighbor Dr write a prescription. I have no side affects from the Allopurinol and I will always be afraid to get off of it.

I've been on 100mg of Allopurinol for about 10 days. Feeling great so far. Blood work at 30 days and evaluate from that point.

Not Gout but Arthritis in my toes,it's so bad the walk to the bathroom first thing in morning has me holding on to anything I can. I have been using 200 ml of CBD oil a day and it helps a ton. Getting old is a bitch

I get a flare or two a year. Sometimes really bad. It seems my trigger is dehydration. If I don’t drink enough water I’ll get it. If I feel it coming on sometimes I can wash it away by drinking a ton of water. No daily meds yet. I’m trying to control it with diet and lifestyle and it’s been working ok usually. I sure do miss grilled hamburgers though.