Anyone understand YJ/XJ intermittent wiper switch and module?

TRevs

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm trying to solve minor electrical issue which has me stumped (doesn't take much). The windshield wash spray motor has not worked since I got the Jeep.

I'm confused because I'm reading 11+ volts to the connector contacts when the switch on the stalk is depressed, but it won't run the motor. I bench tested the motor with a power supply and it ran (11V, 1.0 amp). I ordered a new motor in case that was the problem and got the same result. I've looked at the wiring diagram and can't understand how a functional motor that should be getting ~12V isn't running.

The odd part is that when I depress the switch for the sprayer, and no motor is connected, the wipers run. If I have (either) motor connected and push the switch, neither the wipers nor the motor run. Could that mean the switch is putting out insufficient amperage to run both motors? This has intermittent wipers and on the wiring diagram everything from the stalk goes through the intermittent wiper module, so maybe there's a short in there?

1709937860491.png