Anyone used SafeTCaps for Jeep frame rust repair?

Hello, my first post in the forum. Last summer we discovered (when the skid plate almost ripped out of the frame at Dirty Turtle, KY) MASSIVE rust damage on my wife's TJ. After some research we went with Auto Rust Technicians full frame rail kit, both sides. After many hours, cutoff wheels, flapper wheels, and cheap Harbor Freight flux core welder (converted to DC output) it has been solid thru many many off-road and highway trips. Very happy with the results; prep is key! DROP THE TANK. Cut out the bad, clean up what's left, and weld. Lots of work but had it all done in 3 days.
great write up very helpful. Will be doing my driver side rear frame over the winter

check out pocono metal fab in my opinion there pieces are every bit as good as safety cap and ALOT LESS EXPENSIVE got both rear side pieces for about half what saftycap wanted it is 10 gauge if i recall correctly also got the center sections as well ( winter project while layed off)
good tip on Pocono metal fab! Not too far from me either!

great write up very helpful. Will be doing my driver side rear frame over the winter
Thank you and good luck!
Thank you and good luck! Get the measurements right (I think I forgot to mention that) and you'll have no problems. Show us your results!

Reactions: 02FlameRed
Hello, my first post in the forum. Last summer we discovered (when the skid plate almost ripped out of the frame at Dirty Turtle, KY) MASSIVE rust damage on my wife's TJ. After some research we went with Auto Rust Technicians full frame rail kit, both sides. After many hours, cutoff wheels, flapper wheels, and cheap Harbor Freight flux core welder (converted to DC output) it has been solid thru many many off-road and highway trips. Very happy with the results; prep is key! DROP THE TANK. Cut out the bad, clean up what's left, and weld. Lots of work but had it all done in 3 days.

View attachment 58211

View attachment 58212

View attachment 58213

View attachment 58214

View attachment 58215

View attachment 58216

View attachment 58217

View attachment 58218

View attachment 58219

View attachment 58220

View attachment 58221

View attachment 58222

View attachment 58223

View attachment 58224

View attachment 58225

View attachment 58226

View attachment 58227

View attachment 58228

View attachment 58229
THAT is impressive! About to start the same project on daughter's 97 TJ. Any tips or things to availd?

Reactions: Markymech
Just the obvious - be safe; i wouldn't even try it without dropping the gas tank which only takes about 20 minutes; and if you do the work on jack stands like I did (uuuugh!) make sure you immobilize the differential somehow before you disconnect the control arms. I ratchet-strapped it in both directions, worked good. Good idea to have a big fan blowing all the crap out as you cut the frame because it REALLY generates some dust. Measure very carefully so everything lines up correctly. It's fairly simple - just not easy. Best of luck to you!