Apple Air Tag for Theft Recovery

I've never been a fan of Apple products. I'm definitely biased though, working in IT for over 20 years and almost everything is Windows. Apple is usually overpriced for what you get.
When I worked IT, when asked "Apple or Microsoft?", I'd reply: "I have the exact same agreement with both of them. They keep doing stupid shit and I keep cussing at them."

Apple hardware really isn't any more expensive than Windows stuff - *OF EQUIVALENT QUALITY*. If you buy consumer grade crap, yea, you can beat their prices. If you buy commercial grade hardware from HP or Dell, you pay about the same. But anything in the Apple ecosphere starts becoming obsolete within 2 years, new stuff doesn't work with only slightly older stuff. It endemic in the Apple world - whether or not it comes from Apple or somebody else, if its more than a couple of years old, you start having problems, both hardware wise and especially software wise. Windows has a VASTLY better backwards compatibility record, usually extending back DECADES!

The other difference is that Apple is a religion. They get away with crap that would get ANYBODY ELSE laughed out of business, but because its Apple, its a Good Thing (tm). OTOH, on the rare occasion Microsoft manages to get something right, there's still nobody happy!

When I worked IT, when asked "Apple or Microsoft?", I'd reply: "I have the exact same agreement with both of them. They keep doing stupid shit and I keep cussing at them."

Apple hardware really isn't any more expensive than Windows stuff - *OF EQUIVALENT QUALITY*. If you buy consumer grade crap, yea, you can beat their prices. If you buy commercial grade hardware from HP or Dell, you pay about the same. But anything in the Apple ecosphere starts becoming obsolete within 2 years, new stuff doesn't work with only slightly older stuff. It endemic in the Apple world - whether or not it comes from Apple or somebody else, if its more than a couple of years old, you start having problems, both hardware wise and especially software wise. Windows has a VASTLY better backwards compatibility record, usually extending back DECADES!

The other difference is that Apple is a religion. They get away with crap that would get ANYBODY ELSE laughed out of business, but because its Apple, its a Good Thing (tm). OTOH, on the rare occasion Microsoft manages to get something right, there's still nobody happy!
I'll never forget the very first day I saw this little tiny typewriter sized keyboard with an ugly green screen monitor in the early 80's. I was with Sperry Univac (a large mainframe manufacture in competition with IBM) as a salesman selling mainframe computers, after having been a field engineer then systems analyst before that.

I was visiting the Travelodge motel chain's headquarters in El Cajon California where I was visiting to see the data processing manager. I walked into the computer room and he was sitting looking at his new Apple computer's display which had information laid out in a grid. He commented "Jerry this little guy can do stuff your big mainframe computer can't do". I scoffed at first but hearing that greatly concerned me... as in how could that be? His Apple was running the very first commercially available spreadsheet called VisiCalc, it was like the dinosaur predecessor to Excel. He said watch this... he changed the numbers in one cell and that caused a ripple effect through the rest of the display. He said he was performing a bunch of "what if" scenarios, cost-wise, for the motel chain. He was right, my million dollar mainframe was incapable of doing anything like that in an interactive manner.

That was when microcomputer usage started exploding in the computer world, it changed the world. We still have big roomfuls of computer systems but wow, Apple really changed the world with that first Apple.

Personally I can't figure out how to use an Apple or Macintosh product, my mind is just more of a Windows/Android type I guess lol. :ROFLMAO:

When I was living full-time in the city, I had an Optimus tracker. It cost like $20 a month and used a cell receiver and GPS. It worked quite well, though it had to be recharged every 2 weeks unless you hard-wired it in.

https://optimustracker.com

... anything in the Apple ecosphere starts becoming obsolete within 2 years, new stuff doesn't work with only slightly older stuff. It endemic in the Apple world - whether or not it comes from Apple or somebody else, if its more than a couple of years old, you start having problems, both hardware wise and especially software wise. Windows has a VASTLY better backwards compatibility record, usually extending back DECADES!

My first Macbook Pro was purchased new in 2011. It lasted me TEN YEARS. Daily use. Work, play, everything. It worked well the entire time. I only missed out on the last gen OS updates. It ran Windows better than any PC I'd ever owned when I needed it to. I played around with Linux on it as well. Apple's customer service was always AWESOME whenever I dealt with them. I'm sure that machine would still be running if it weren't for the physical trauma it received towards it's end of life (damn kids). That experience was enough to justify the price to me...

I never bought into the cult or the ecosphere. I hate iPhone. I detested iTunes from the first time I used it.

I replaced it with one of the new M1 Macbooks. I doubled the RAM when I bought it so I'm not suffering from any of the swap issues that are going on. It's an awesome little machine in every way the first one was...

Maybe I'm the exception...

Reactions: suicideking
I'll never forget the very first day I saw this little tiny typewriter sized keyboard with an ugly green screen monitor in the early 80's. I was with Sperry Univac (a large mainframe manufacture in competition with IBM) as a salesman selling mainframe computers, after having been a field engineer then systems analyst before that.

I was visiting the Travelodge motel chain's headquarters in El Cajon California where I was visiting to see the data processing manager. I walked into the computer room and he was sitting looking at his new Apple computer's display which had information laid out in a grid. He commented "Jerry this little guy can do stuff your big mainframe computer can't do". I scoffed at first but hearing that greatly concerned me... as in how could that be? His Apple was running the very first commercially available spreadsheet called VisiCalc, it was like the dinosaur predecessor to Excel. He said watch this... he changed the numbers in one cell and that caused a ripple effect through the rest of the display. He said he was performing a bunch of "what if" scenarios, cost-wise, for the motel chain. He was right, my million dollar mainframe was incapable of doing anything like that in an interactive manner.

That was when microcomputer usage started exploding in the computer world, it changed the world. We still have big roomfuls of computer systems but wow, Apple really changed the world with that first Apple.

Personally I can't figure out how to use an Apple or Macintosh product, my mind is just more of a Windows/Android type I guess lol. :ROFLMAO:
I remember well when Visicalc was announced - never touched it myself, in fact, I really don't know how to use a spreadsheet to this day, although I've blundered through a couple or three that have been setup by somebody else. It was a BFD back then to have BASIC in ROM! The very first computer I ever touched was a Univac 90/70 ca 1979 - if you don't count the old Heathkit 6800 microprocessor trainer.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
My first Macbook Pro was purchased new in 2011. It lasted me TEN YEARS. Daily use. Work, play, everything. It worked well the entire time. I only missed out on the last gen OS updates. It ran Windows better than any PC I'd ever owned when I needed it to. I played around with Linux on it as well. Apple's customer service was always AWESOME whenever I dealt with them. I'm sure that machine would still be running if it weren't for the physical trauma it received towards it's end of life (damn kids). That experience was enough to justify the price to me...

I never bought into the cult or the ecosphere. I hate iPhone. I detested iTunes from the first time I used it.

I replaced it with one of the new M1 Macbooks. I doubled the RAM when I bought it so I'm not suffering from any of the swap issues that are going on. It's an awesome little machine in every way the first one was...

Maybe I'm the exception...
It should last at least 10 years - Apple hardware is quality. A quality unit from HP or Dell will also last that long. My Mac mini is just shy of 10 years old - just don't ask it to run much that's been released more recently. Apple releases a new version of OS X every year whether they need to or not. I don't see much difference between "Jaguar" - the first version I ever ran, and "High Sierra" which is what's running on this Mac mini - other than decontented ancilliary programs and low contrast (pale grey on glaring white) screens. I'm particularly pissed off about how the really useful iPhoto program morphed into the useless "Photos" that was - by Apple's on admission - geared towards the selfie and snapchat crowd. I am still running iPhoto - but any further upgrades to the OS would kill it - and several other programs I depend on - for good. Besides the latest OS X "Monterey" won't run on this thing.

iTunes is OK for what I use it for, but its my understanding that its deprecated now as well. We won't discuss the excellent Aperture photo program which got dropped like a live grenade by Apple, leaving their users in the lurch. Which has happened countless times with them.

Yet I can install Windows 10 on a 20 year old computer and it will run. Ugly as home made sin, but it will run...

Reactions: DWR
Has anyone every considered installing an inline 30 amp breaker in the B+ of the fuel pump circuit.

If you can't start it, you can't steal it without a flatbed.
When my first TJ was stolen, that's exactly how it was stolen... with a flatbed tow truck. A 10 amp would work just as well, the TJ's fuel pump only draws 3-5 amps. And you're dating yourself when you describe its power as B+. :ROFLMAO:

It should last at least 10 years - Apple hardware is quality. A quality unit from HP or Dell will also last that long. My Mac mini is just shy of 10 years old - just don't ask it to run much that's been released more recently. Apple releases a new version of OS X every year whether they need to or not. I don't see much difference between "Jaguar" - the first version I ever ran, and "High Sierra" which is what's running on this Mac mini - other than decontented ancilliary programs and low contrast (pale grey on glaring white) screens. I'm particularly pissed off about how the really useful iPhoto program morphed into the useless "Photos" that was - by Apple's on admission - geared towards the selfie and snapchat crowd. I am still running iPhoto - but any further upgrades to the OS would kill it - and several other programs I depend on - for good. Besides the latest OS X "Monterey" won't run on this thing.

iTunes is OK for what I use it for, but its my understanding that its deprecated now as well. We won't discuss the excellent Aperture photo program which got dropped like a live grenade by Apple, leaving their users in the lurch. Which has happened countless times with them.

Yet I can install Windows 10 on a 20 year old computer and it will run. Ugly as home made sin, but it will run...

I agree that Apple PC's are quality. They use good components and their PC's seem to last. iPhones on the other hand, are garbage. Many have battery issues and the technology is usually well behind when compared to android.

My first computer was the Apple IIe. Ran well for what I used it for (games and school). Haven't owned an Apple since even though I used to do Level 2 tech support for an ISP back in the late 90's. That was fun to learn while taking escalated calls. Don't tell a devout Apple user that you are a PC tech too. Call the Apple menu a start menu and you were in deep shit. :D

I know iTunes is now on the way out, but what a pain in the ass that always was. People would break their playlists. Can't copy data off the phone in a straight forward way, etc. I like how I can copy all of my music from my android phone to a PC or USB flash drive with copy and paste.

Now the computers seem to be way overpriced compared to Windows (or Linux) hardware. Nothing wrong with them if you're willing to fork out the cash. Just doesn't make sense for me since I know how to fix PC's and play video games at home. The Apple closed/proprietary architecture just doesn't appeal to me. I do like that their built on a Unix/BSD kernel. Though if I want Unix, I'll run Linux for free on any hardware.

I was a salesman with a very large manufacturer of CAD/CAM computer systems and we had offices all over the U.S. We received notice that the company was converting from Windows to Apple Macintoshes and within a few days, a truck dropped a bunch of them off at my office.

Everyone obediently switched to the Macintoshes. Within a week the complaints started, then the complaints became a massive uproar. We weren't getting work done, sales were down due to problems everywhere. It was about a month later our IT Director was fired and we went back to our Windows computers.

It doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the OS/software isn't up to running all the software you need. That's why for businesses, the vast majority have standardized on Windows. Where Macintoshes are the undisputed leaders are in more artistic creative uses. Yes some business apps run on Macintoshes but not all that are popular. For just one example, I depend on Adobe Reader for my work and it isn't certified for use on any Apple product. Those in my line of work who use Macintoshes all have significant issues with Adobe Reader and we're constantly preaching to them that their issues would stop if they just bought a small Windows laptop to run that type of software on.

I was a salesman with a very large manufacturer of CAD/CAM computer systems and we had offices all over the U.S. We received notice that the company was converting from Windows to Apple Macintoshes and within a few days, a truck dropped a bunch of them off at my office.

Everyone obediently switched to the Macintoshes. Within a week the complaints started, then the complaints became a massive uproar. We weren't getting work done, sales were down due to problems everywhere. It was about a month later our IT Director was fired and we went back to our Windows computers.

It doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the OS/software isn't up to running all the software you need. That's why for businesses, the vast majority have standardized on Windows. Where Macintoshes are the undisputed leaders are in more artistic creative uses. Yes some business apps run on Macintoshes but not all that are popular. For just one example, I depend on Adobe Reader for my work and it isn't certified for use on any Apple product. Those in my line of work who use Macintoshes all have significant issues with Adobe Reader and we're constantly preaching to them that their issues would stop if they just bought a small Windows laptop to run that type of software on.

At my last job, that was our problem too. All the business PC's and apps were on Windows. Then you have the Apple users trying to remote in because of Covid and not understanding why it's not working. VPN client issues, remote desktop, etc. Some were running running boot camp with Windows which was better, but still more issues than the Windows users.

Same thing with the phones and ipads. Always more issues with a Apple users. Especially after their forced OS updates when a new phone is released and the OS wasn't really ready.

Also support issues because none of the techs are running Apple devices. Have to rely on screenshots and being able to find current walk throughs.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
We were a mixed campus of about 80% windows, and 20% Macs. For our purposes, they both were fine. They both ran Microslop Office, and they both ran Adobe Reader - I never heard of, nor had any problems with Reader on a Mac. *shrug* A lot of the real heavy duty software we were running was on Linux, although very few users ran Linux as a desktop (I was one of them for awhile).

But as I think I said before, every year Apple would release a new version of their OS, which would break everything despite looking just like the last 10 versions - only with decontented software. Windows 10 created headaches as well with the "always on update". Microsoft's backwards compatibility record is FAR better than Apples, but that doesn't mean its perfect. We couldn't update from Office 2003 until about 2014 because apparently simply running a newer version of Access on our *HUGE* Access database created and maintained with older versions, would corrupt same. WTF, Microsoft?

Does it pinpoint exact location?
If so what will you do with the info?

Go and try to get it back yourself?
Call the cops and report its location?