ARB air compressor location

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
Hi everyone, now that christmas is around the corner I will probably buy this ARB compressor kit and mount it under the hood in my abs tray since my jeep does not have anti lock brakes. Has anyone bought this kit? And has anyone mounted it in their abs tray? Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks

I did the same thing. Set it in there and mark where you want it, then unbolt the tray and pull it out, mount the compressor to it, and bolt the whole thing back in.

3E5C12FB-0533-4A48-962C-3F44CE44FFB0.jpeg

I did the same thing. Set it in there and mark where you want it, then unbolt the tray and pull it out, mount the compressor to it, and bolt the whole thing back in.
Does the compressor hold any air? Or does the moment you flick the switch does it start pushing it out of the tube. Also where did you mount your rocker switch? My jeep didnt come with a hardtop so im gonna punch out one of the switches and put it in there

I just mounted the switch in my dash near the headlight knob. The compressor does hold a tiny amount of air, but it’s negligible. When you first turn it on it will run for like 1 second to fill itself up. When you finish using it after putting air in tires or something, you need to turn it off, then squeeze the gauge trigger to bleed the air out of it before you disconnect the air hose or the hose fitting will shoot out of the compressor when you try to release it.

Also, maybe it isn’t a big deal, but I was worried about mud or dirt or water or just any junk getting in the compressor connector since it’s facing up, so I just took an extra end fitting and sealed it with foil tape and leave that in the compressor to keep anything from getting in there. You might be able to see it in the pic I posted.

I did the same thing. Mounted the ARB to the empty space below the master cylinder. Remove the plate, drill the holes and mount the unit. At least on my TJ, there's a rubber boot just below the plate where you can fish the switch wires to the interior. The included switch fits neatly to the stock switch blank.

5214EC50-F967-483E-A515-3D02027BCFC9_1_105_c.jpeg

EF677029-C9AB-4825-AA98-41704623B06A_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: Big-Al
Is that all there is to having on board air? Remove the plate, mount the compressor, then reinstall?

Pretty much. The hardest part was determining the correct wires to splice for the power feed and illumination. I read a few threads about pulling wire to the fuse panel, etc but I was able to splice the power feed using the 12v cigarette lighter feed and I had a spare dash illumination wire (which lights the switch when the lights are on) already present at my radio harness. But that all depends on what you have under your dash.

The directions that come with the unit aren't the greatest but if you can do basic wiring then it's really not too difficult.

You can make a plug for the air chuck by getting a fitting and capping it off, keep it in the air chuck to keep dirt and dust out while off reading. I have the same set up and it works great.

1CC0751E-382A-4C8E-B4D1-F194E514166A.jpeg

The tray is the way I went as well. I removed the tray after marking where I wanted the pump to sit. I then drilled holes and bolted the pump down and with the bolts loose on the pump itself I wiggled the tray and pump in. With the bolts loose on the pump rings, it allows things to spin on the pump which gave me the room to get it in there. I then used a piece of vacuum hose to put around the air hose so it wouldn’t rub on things. I did this under the Jeep as well for any areas it may rub on its way to the rear locker. For the hose port, I used the little red hole plug they used during shipping with a little Teflon tape to hold it in place to keep dirt out. It never fell out in the three years it was there. I finally splurged and bought a plug from wits end. ACP-ARB1.
It’s a great solution for me. I can fill my tires from 15 lbs to 30 in about 3 minutes each. Which is good enough for me. I used the switches the pump came with as well as pulling the intake filter into the cab of the Jeep so it would deal with slightly less dirt.

Thought I might add some photos of my single ARB compressor install. I preferred a clean look and a made a plate to hide the switch as to prevent the kids from turning it on. (Reminds me, I need to wire a safety switch for my lockers to prevent the kids from playing with that fun button since overriding the 4LO only use).

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0850.jpeg

IMG_0853.jpeg

Reactions: D M