ARB air locker compressor location ideas TJ

Evan77

She’s not leaking oil, she’s sweating power!
Supporting Member
Hi there’s a deal on arb air lockers right now. You will obviously need a air compressor to activate the locker. The main thing that’s turning me away from it is the Compressor and where to put it and 12 v cables running around and air lines. I’m looking at the Eaton e locker for only 50$ more for my ford 8.8. Any one got any ideas on where you can put the air compressor and / or where you put it? Also the air compressor is also a plus for airing tires up on the trails and stuff which is the reason why I want to get the air locker while I’m at it because I’m regearing my jeep anyways so might as well put in a locker while I’m in it. Thanks.

More makes a bracket that mounts on the intake manifold. You also have the tray beneath the brake booster and the driver side fender to mount stuff.

More makes a bracket that mounts on the intake manifold. You also have the tray beneath the brake booster and the driver side fender to mount stuff.
I have a banks ram air, and looking at the mini compressor not the dual one. Should it fit? And I could try the tray, just worried about water because my jeeps hood is vented.

Put the compressor on the tray below the booster. It'll be fine. The air line is easy to route and durable. The wiring for the switches is all wrapped and not a rats nest, it can fit right thru a grommet and fits all behind the dash.

I have a banks ram air, and looking at the mini compressor not the dual one. Should it fit? And I could try the tray, just worried about water because my jeeps hood is vented.
Advise against cold air intake unless you're supercharged.

The arb will be around 160$ more expensive because of the compressor and accessories. I’ve had no experiences with selectable lockers. Which one would you guys recommend the e locker or the arb?

+1 for the ABS Tray for a mounting location:

D080105A-65DD-4E46-B91B-EC92CB978A3D.jpeg

Routing up an air line can go anywhere from here, I put mine to the front bumper

27DD719F-3D1B-4134-9C3E-33C5F8D8F2BC.jpeg

Reactions: MikeE024
How long was the air line for the compressor? I’ll probably need about 8 and a half feet for the line to the rear.
They give you plenty. 20' or so. I chopped mine to what I needed and keep the rest as a replacement if needed (havent needed it in 4 years).

Everywhere I looked yesterday has 10% off on ARB. Sometimes they run deals on a free compressor instead. Pick your poison. Money will be spent somewhere. :)
I’ve already got an ARB in the rear so the compressor is already there. I have a lunchbox in the front. I’m very tempted to go for the ARB 30 spline with chromo shafts that East Coast fear has for $1250. Such a good deal.

How long was the air line for the compressor? I’ll probably need about 8 and a half feet for the line to the rear.

Are you talking to the axles for lockers or to the bumper?

The ARB locker includes air hoses, like @tworley said that you can splice as needed. For the front bumper I bought a kit that included 10ft, I think I used under 6.

I have mine here there is a custom bracket you can buy to put it here. I bought all of mine in a kit so I don't have a link for the bracket.

IMG-2059.JPG

That’s cool, was it a hassle to put it on?

It was actually really easy except for I think in the instructions it says it is different for the 97-2000s where you have an extra bracket that comes with it. The bracket bolts on OK but it also bolts on to the main bracket with one nut and bolt. That nut and bold is tricky on the 97-2000's If you have a new TJ then the extra bracket isn't needed and it is a piece of cake. If I ever have to take it apart. I will probably weld the bolt from the bottom of from the second bracket so all I have to worry about is getting the nut on from the top. It would make it cake that way. I am not sure why they just didn't do that from the manufacturer.

To be honest, I left that net and bolt out because there was really no way to get to the bottom of it probably without pulling the throttle Body. So I figured I would just take it back apart and weld the stud on from underneath, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Other than that one bolt it was pretty simple. I think a lot more simple than trying to muscle it in under the Brake booster. I am not saying under the brake booster is a bad idea, just that this bolts right on top of the motor and it was pretty simple, and the intakes are a little bit higher.

It is all preference really. Although the down side to my way is I think that bracket was like $100 dollar so that is enough to think about if it is worth it or not.

My engine bay is a bit different than yours, but I still think this is a good place. I find that it offers quick access and I've heard some people think that the heat inside the engine bay killed their air compressor, but I can't confirm this and it really didn't matter for my issue.

In any case I suggest plumbing and supporting the air coupling for convenient access, but that's by no means necessary.