ARB air pump feedback in CB radio

strumble8

TJ Enthusiast
Every time my air pump cycles for my arb lockers I get feedback through my cb radio. The cb is wired directly to the battery as is the arb pump. Would relocating the ground for the pump help clear this up? Or is there some kind of noise filter I can purchase to clean up the ground on the cb? Any tips/pointers are appreciated.

The link below will take you to a long read, but it is very informative. I bought 5 ground mesh wires and placed them throughout my Jeep. Connect all your grounds to the body, engine, or frame, but make sure those are, what is referred to as, bonded.

https://k0bg.com/bonding.html

Reactions: CharlesHS
The link below will take you to a long read, but it is very informative. I bought 5 ground mesh wires and placed them throughout my Jeep. Connect all your grounds to the body, engine, or frame, but make sure those are, what is referred to as, bonded.

https://k0bg.com/bonding.html
Very informative article.
Thank you....

Every time my air pump cycles for my arb lockers I get feedback through my cb radio. The cb is wired directly to the battery as is the arb pump. Would relocating the ground for the pump help clear this up? Or is there some kind of noise filter I can purchase to clean up the ground on the cb? Any tips/pointers are appreciated.
I had the same problem with the intercooler water pump on my TJ. Most of my problem was due to noise put on the 12V line by the motor. That noise would radiate from all of the vehicle wiring. How could I tell? I connected to CB to an isolated battery and let the pump motor run. The noise was still there. So then I added an inline choke and a couple of capacitors to a good ground at the motor. That reduced the noise substantially. The radio doesn’t have a calibrated S-meter so I can’t say how much exactly but it went from about 3 “bars” to maybe one or one and a half “bars.” Filtering of the 12V going to the radio had no measurable effect. Additional and/or better grounds on the vehicle also had no effect.

Reactions: strumble8
Your pump should only run once per day or when actuating your lockers. Check for leaks.
I don’t leave my lockers locked all the time on the trail. Most of the trails here in Colorado have short sections that require lockers followed by long sections at higher speeds