Arborist / mountaineering rope as winch line ?

DETOUR

TJ Enthusiast
Howdy All
A friend of mine sold me a bundle of climbing rope (50 meter of 1/2” dia.) for 20.-$ including 4 climbing shackles
My question:
• Has anybody ever used arborist rope as winch line ?
• I’m unable to find specific info online

thx in advance

DETOUR

~•lllllll•~👋🏿
3464BA48-9BB2-4467-9389-566F64D3C155.jpeg

Blue line or "Core mantle" will not be suitable for 4x4 winch applications its meant to stand up to much less force than a huge heavy 4x4 brick being pulled out of a rut/bog.
It is "Over Rated" High to ensure maximum personal weight will not be compromised when the strands are compromised on sharp rocks and the like same as harnesses, I think it will stretch to max before it would pull a TJ out of trouble?
Might look good but maybe try abseiling with it first although if you cant tie a correct figure eight on the bight with your eyes closed or know what a prusik loop is then just use it for tying down trash on your trailer :)

Last edited:
Not a good idea a climbing rope is designed to have some give. If you fall it will absorb a bit of the shock. You don't want this in a winch rope.

Reactions: DETOUR
Blue line or "Core mantle" will not be suitable for 4x4 winch applications its meant to stand up to much less force than a huge heavy 4x4 brick being pulled out of a rut/bog.
It is "Over Rated" High to ensure maximum personal weight will not be compromised when the strands are compromised on sharp rocks and the like same as harnesses, I think it will stretch to max before it would pull a TJ out of trouble?
Might look good but maybe try abseiling with it first although if you cant tie a correct figure eight on the bight with your eyes closed or know what a prusik loop is then just use it for tying down trash on your trailer :)
Great reply. Keeping people safe.

I don’t know much about knots, but I do get the “Bight” reference.

Reactions: DETOUR
I go for the later 🤣
Thx