Winch-cable replacement on Warn 8274

DETOUR

TJ Enthusiast
Howdy All
Has anybody replaced the original 150 feet of steel cable (5/16” dia.) with synthetic line (3/8” dia.) and how much line were you able to put on the drum ?

Thx in advance

~•|||||•~👋🏿

I'm running 125' of TRE 3/8". I could have probably fit 150' if I needed it but TRE doesn't sell it that length. Just make sure you are running a hawse fairlead.

Reactions: DETOUR
I'm running 125' of TRE 3/8". I could have probably fit 150' if I needed it but TRE doesn't sell it that length. Just make sure you are running a hawse fairlead.
The hawse fairlead recommendation for synthetic rope was once a mainstay of basic advice but it's no longer the case. It was thought that synthetic rope could get caught in the corners between the rollers of roller fairleads but that was turned out to be an old wive's tale. I run a hawse again but I ran a roller fairlead for years for the reason that rolling rollers are gentler on rope than the fixed surface of a hawse is.

I only went to a hawse again due to the design of the particular TRE hawse I run from TRE having more clearance away from some occasionally very abrupt vertical rock surfaces.

This is why I went back to a hawse, the TRE version simply doesn't protrude out as far as my previous roller fairlead did. Plus it gives a nice place to store the Safety Thimble I run.

But there's no inherent issue with running a roller fairlead with a synthetic rope like we used to think there was.

IMAG1880.jpg

Reactions: LJGreg
it's like 15% less. 100' 5/16 steel is replaced with 85' of 3/8 synth, IIRC.
so a 150" would be replaced with up to 128', so 125' is right there.

The hawse fairlead recommendation for synthetic rope was once a mainstay of basic advice but it's no longer the case. It was thought that synthetic rope could get caught in the corners between the rollers of roller fairleads but that was turned out to be an old wive's tale. I run a hawse again but I ran a roller fairlead for years for the reason that rolling rollers are gentler on rope than the fixed surface of a hawse is.

I only went to a hawse again due to the design of the particular TRE hawse I run from TRE having more clearance away from some occasionally very abrupt vertical rock surfaces.

This is why I went back to a hawse, the TRE version simply doesn't protrude out as far as my previous roller fairlead did. Plus it gives a nice place to store the Safety Thimble I run.

But there's no inherent issue with running a roller fairlead with a synthetic rope like we used to think there was.

View attachment 222370
Hey Jerry! Would you mind telling me about your synthetic rope? Need to replace mind-sooner the better. Brand, length and diameter. I’ve been looking at the TRE snatch block and I saw all their other items! I’d like to stay American Made! Thanks

I run 100' on my 8274. Lots of room for more, but I'd rather a winch extension since the closer to the drum you are (more cable pulled) the more the winch can pull. I guess it would depend on where you wheel too though. I've never needed more than 100', even when using a snatch block.

Hey Jerry! Would you mind telling me about your synthetic rope? Need to replace mind-sooner the better. Brand, length and diameter. I’ve been looking at the TRE snatch block and I saw all their other items! I’d like to stay American Made! Thanks
Stay with 3/8" and Ricky's TRE ropes with the Safety Thimble are a great way to go. I went with the high-vis orange color on my last TRE rope. Can't say what length to go with without knowing what winch model but Ricky @Garza can advise you there. He's a member here and an avid Jeeper with a badass Wrangler on 40's.

download-1.jpeg
download~2.jpeg

Reactions: Norty05LJ
Reactions: Jerry Bransford