Are frame mounted nerf bars a bad idea?

Midtenn

TJ Addict
So I understand nerf bars limit your ability to off-road and I accept those limitations to get nerf bars. I removed the poorly designed sliders & step that pull on my tub and I wanted something that has more of a step for my wife.

I like the idea of the kind that use the body mounts like the one in the link below, but it may be likewise be poorly designed.

I know this forum is anti-RC and that’s fine. It’s more of a type than a specific kind. Usually there’s a better implementation by someone else. Or is frame mounted nerf bars a likewise bad idea?

https://www.roughcountry.com/rc-jeep-wheel-to-wheel-nerf-steps-rcj9746.html

I have nerf bars, I don’t like them, but keep them for the wife and kids. They don’t limit neon trails, but I also don’t do anything so serious that they would interfere. I’ll be taking them off before long, not sure how much of a rush you are in. I want to get more of a slider

I had the frame mounted ones when I first bought my Jeep and they rusted out from the inside in 2 years. Also didn’t like Swiss cheesing the frame. If I had to do it over, I would keep the stock side steps and remove them before any off-road trip.

I'm sure the RC ones are fine and the body mount design is probably easier to install.

And did you ever get your driveshaft installed??
I did. Everything is all set. And it may be all in my head but I feel like it accelerates a lot better. When driving it before, it kept feeling like it was all bound up but now it’s a lot smoother. It still sways a bit but overall much better.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
I have nerf bars, I don’t like them, but keep them for the wife and kids. They don’t limit neon trails, but I also don’t do anything so serious that they would interfere. I’ll be taking them off before long, not sure how much of a rush you are in. I want to get more of a slider
This is for my wife. My vertical jump is 34” so I just hop in. My wife can’t jump that high.

I had the frame mounted ones when I first bought my Jeep and they rusted out from the inside in 2 years. Also didn’t like Swiss cheesing the frame. If I had to do it over, I would keep the stock side steps and remove them before any off-road trip.

I'm sure the RC ones are fine and the body mount design is probably easier to install.
Agreed. I’d rather not drill into the frame. There are some that use the body mount but then screw into the tubes. That doesn’t seem like a good design to me.

I don’t worry too much about rust as the Jeep lives in a humidity controlled room and doesn’t go outside unless it’s about 70* and sunny.

Why do you want to take them off? Limits on trails?