Are NTK / NGK O2 Sensors the same?

So what happens if you cant get the O2,s out and you have already cut the wires?

I've never had that happen, but it has crossed my mind.

I suppose you could solder the wires back together and take it into a shop to have them figure it out. I've also heard of people using those split sockets and wrapping something like this around the bottom to prevent it from spreading when you crank on it.

oyjqe.png

I have not personally, I've only had trouble on the exhaust headers.
Thanks Jerry. Went out this morning and was able to loosen three of the four sensors. I had been soaking them for several days. The last one Bank 1 Sensor 2 is not cooperating but time is on my side. More Kroil and several more days of soaking. Believe it or not I was able to loosen the other three with a 3/8" socket wrench and O2 socket.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
OK, update on O2 sensors. I was able to loosen three of the 4 sensors, making sure there was plenty of Kroil that was able to migrate into the threads as I worked them back and forth. I just wrench tightened because I'm waiting for my full order from Amazon to arrive; all NTK sensors as per the O2 thread on this site. The last sensor would not budge which is Bank1 Sensor 2 in a tough limited space spot. I hosed it down with Kroil over the course of several days and kept trying with no luck. I really didn't want to cut the wires unless it was a last resort. Finally, after repeated attempts it loosened. Worked back and forth allowing Kroil to migrate into the threads and wrench tightened. Will replace all 4 in one shot and make certain there is enough Never Seize applied. I would like to thank everyone who gave advice and suggestions. Jerry Bransford, you deserve extra thanks. Here are pics of the MFer giving me the trouble. The flats are just beginning to round. The first is from the driver's front looking back from underneath. The second photo is from under driver's side wheel looking up. Sorry about quality on 2nd pic.

DSCN1808.JPG

DSCN1811.JPG

Last edited:
This s*** never ends. Began installing new NTK sensors on 2004 TJ. All are loose, however, the plastic connection on two of them is giving me fits. I can't get the the male and female separated. There is a tab on top of the female sensor connector that I can push down on but cannot get Bank 2 Sensor 1 apart. Bank 2 Sensor 2 is giving me a hard time as well. Any hints or tips?

The latch can stick, take a close look at the other connectors. Sometimes you have to use a small screwdriver or pick to lift the latch, the release tab wont apply enough force to lift it correctly. You can also spray the connector, sometimes it'll free up the latch, I flush them with water but whatever works for you.

Mopar electrical connectors can be maddening. I spent the better part of my career in the tech side of the electronics and electrical industry and dealt with many forms of connectors without problem. None ever stumped me until I bought my first Jeep and experienced Mopar's nightmarish connectors. To this day I still sometimes have far more trouble getting them apart than is warranted.

I cut the wires on mine, allowing me to pull it out where I could see it. Then a little screwdriver, and I was away.

Mopar electrical connectors can be maddening. I spent the better part of my career in the tech side of the electronics and electrical industry and dealt with many forms of connectors without problem. None ever stumped me until I bought my first Jeep and experienced Mopar's nightmarish connectors. To this day I still sometimes have far more trouble getting them apart than is warranted.
Jerry, I finally got the bastard apart after spending hours on it. I literally had to break the locking tab on the sensor female connector and then pull it apart enough to get a pair of small snap ring pliers on the space in between to push the two apart. The rubber seal got hung up and was preventing the two from separating. All 4 sensors replace now with new NTK sensors; whew! Thanks again for all your input.

The latch can stick, take a close look at the other connectors. Sometimes you have to use a small screwdriver or pick to lift the latch, the release tab wont apply enough force to lift it correctly. You can also spray the connector, sometimes it'll free up the latch, I flush them with water but whatever works for you.
I finally got them apart but went through every profanity I know as well as a few I made up on the spot. Glad it's over. The whole time I'm thinking I would love to get my hands on the sadistic bastard who designed this fastener.:LOL:

Reactions: pagrey
Hopefully, this is the last question on O2 sensors. After replacing all 4 sensors with NTK and clearing the code by disconnecting ground strap does it take a little while for the computer to re-adjust the settings? No codes showing but it is running a little rough with some hesitation spots. 2004 TJ NV 3500 manual Inline 6.

Hopefully, this is the last question on O2 sensors. After replacing all 4 sensors with NTK and clearing the code by disconnecting ground strap does it take a little while for the computer to re-adjust the settings? No codes showing but it is running a little rough with some hesitation spots. 2004 TJ NV 3500 manual Inline 6.
Yes it takes a while for the PCM to re-learn the new O2 sensors.

That was caused by a defective pre-catalytic converter on my TJ.
So the pre-cats are the ones connected at the manifold correct. My question is why is the up stream o2 sensor not setting a code. Does any one have a good part number for this? I looked on amazon but it looked like the ones on there only had down stream sensor ports. Is there any way to check these converters? or can i just eliminate them. If so how do i keep the ECM from looking them. Thanks Y'all for your help