Are NTK / NGK O2 Sensors the same?

@Sonny I'd personally try to keep the system as it was designed. Why are you asking, getting codes or having problems with how the Jeep is running?
Getting codes and it run rough after it sets the code it doesn’t want to idle correctly until I clear the code.

So the pre-cats are the ones connected at the manifold correct. My question is why is the up stream o2 sensor not setting a code. Does any one have a good part number for this? I looked on amazon but it looked like the ones on there only had down stream sensor ports. Is there any way to check these converters? or can i just eliminate them. If so how do i keep the ECM from looking them. Thanks Y'all for your help
If you are asking for the part numbers for the upstream O2 sensors here they are: Bank 1-Sensor 1 NTK 23137, Bank 2-Sensor 1 NTK 23135. If you are looking for the pre-cat numbers someone with more knowledge can hopefully answer your question.

Does this shit never end? Replaced all 4 O2 sensors with the correct NTKs due to a P0138 code as well as having 146,000 miles on TJ. Cleared code by disconnecting ground. Re-checked by turning ignition key to on three times and getting done; code cleared all good right? Took TJ for a ride, idling rough and missing some going down road. Figure it would take some time for computer to re-adjust after new O2 sensors installed. Started up this morning and noticed CEL light on. Turned ignition key three times getting P0174 code (system too lean Bank 2). Went for drive, came home and parked. Still have P0174 code. Checked all vacuum hoses, etc.. WTF? Any clues?

Does this shit never end? Replaced all 4 O2 sensors with the correct NTKs due to a P0138 code as well as having 146,000 miles on TJ. Cleared code by disconnecting ground. Re-checked by turning ignition key to on three times and getting done; code cleared all good right? Took TJ for a ride, idling rough and missing some going down road. Figure it would take some time for computer to re-adjust after new O2 sensors installed. Started up this morning and noticed CEL light on. Turned ignition key three times getting P0174 code (system too lean Bank 2). Went for drive, came home and parked. Still have P0174 code. Checked all vacuum hoses, etc.. WTF? Any clues?
As I think I said much earlier in this thread, the codes my present TJ was generating indicated bad O2 sensors. The previous owner had already tried replacing the O2 sensors so I just lived with it for a while. Mine turned out to have been caused by a bad pre-catalytic converter which eventually came apart inside and spewed its guts downstream into the main cat nearly completely blocking it. That caused my max highway speed to be 5 mph, I was lucky to have been fairly close to mrblaine's shop and he just happened to have a complete set of them. Replacing all the cats fixed all my O2 sensor codes and stopped my misfiring problem. The root cause of all of my O2 codes and misfiring was one of the two pre-cats.

As I think I said much earlier in this thread, the codes my present TJ was generating indicated bad O2 sensors. The previous owner had already tried replacing the O2 sensors so I just lived with it for a while. Mine turned out to have been caused by a bad pre-catalytic converter which eventually came apart inside and spewed its guts downstream into the main cat nearly completely blocking it. That caused my max highway speed to be 5 mph, I was lucky to have been fairly close to mrblaine's shop and he just happened to have a complete set of them. Replacing all the cats fixed all my O2 sensor codes and stopped my misfiring problem. The root cause of all of my O2 codes and misfiring was one of the two pre-cats.
I'm with you Jerry but I am able to cruise down the road at normal speeds. My idle is low and it sometimes misfires while driving. I checked all vacuum hoses, electrical connections, etc. in an attempt to determine the problem. The part that has me confused is that when I cleared the P0138 code by disconnecting the ground strap the CEL and code went away but it still ran rough. It wasn't until this morning that the P0174 came up. Wouldn't there have been some indication that one of my pre-cats was at fault, i.e. rough idle or hesitation prior to throwing the O2 code? How did you determine the fault was with your pre-cat?

I'm with you Jerry but I am able to cruise down the road at normal speeds. My idle is low and it sometimes misfires while driving. I checked all vacuum hoses, electrical connections, etc. in an attempt to determine the problem. The part that has me confused is that when I cleared the P0138 code by disconnecting the ground strap the CEL and code went away but it still ran rough. It wasn't until this morning that the P0174 came up. Wouldn't there have been some indication that one of my pre-cats was at fault, i.e. rough idle or hesitation prior to throwing the O2 code? How did you determine the fault was with your pre-cat?
The only way I was able to determine that was when all the codes cleared and stopped occurring after the cats were replaced. My existing O2 sensors were installed into the new cat system. Only one of the pre-cats was known to be bad, it gutted itself.

The PCM isn't really smart enough to know if the data given by the O2 sensors is correct or not or if bad data is coming from somewhere else like a pre-cat that mimics a bad O2 sensor.

Reactions: chino1969
Update on O2 sensor replacement and code P0174. As previously mentioned I replaced all 4 O2 sensors on my 2004 TJ I6 manual with NTKs. The Jeep has 145,000 miles on it and code P0138 (Bank 1 Sensor 2) came up after hitting a few really big puddles after the deluge from Hurricane Ida. I can't say for certain if the code came up after hitting the water but that is the only event that I can remember before noticing the CEL came on. Code P0138 indicates problem with Bank 1 Sensor 2 which is downstream of the pre-cat and could have affected by the water. I cleared the P0138 code by disconnecting ground for about 15 minutes. After replacing all 4 sensors the Jeep was missing and running rough, CEL on, rpms down and close to stalling with a new code P0174 associated with Bank 2 Sensor 1 (NTK 23135). WTF??????????? After checking everything that could be contributing to this I threw in the towel for the day and decided to give it a break. I still had the old sensors and removed the new one (Sensor 1 in Bank 2) and re-installed the old one. The Jeep now runs fine and I am testing the new sensor to see if it's bad. Don't start replacing parts until you identify the cause and always start with the basic troubleshooting. Hope this helps others.