Are these Dana 44 bearings bad?

Astro

Never messed with bearings before but I would assume these are bad? Are crown bearings from advance auto junk? What brands are recommended. This is on a Dana 44

Video works fine for me. It's been a long time, but I don't think they are supposed to have that much play. I may be wrong though, so hopefully someone else can confirm or deny this.

Crown bearings are likely junk, yes. Use a high quality bearing like Timken or similar.

Reactions: taylormade73
That’s not how you inspect a tapered roller bearing. You need to clean all the grease off and visually inspect each roller, the inner race and the outer race surfaces for imperfections. Crown would be the last on my list of bearings to choose from. This document from Timken has some of the more common failures with good color pictures.

Attachments

• 7582_LV8 Tapered-Roller-Bearing-Damage.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
In order to replace the bearings, they need to be pressed on/off. If you don’t have a press, you’ll need to take them to a shop to be pressed.

Alternatively, if you’re considering upgrading the shafts to 4140 or similar, the new shafts often come with the bearings already pressed on. Though you probably won’t need 4140 shafts unless you drive with a lead foot off road or run 35s.

Tapered roller bearing will move around in their cage a bit, they will tighten up when installed against the race and torqued properly. To inspect them, clean them off and look at every single roller, if you see some discoloration or pitting they need to be replaced, also inspect the race for the same indications. I would replace them since your right there. I don't know about the Crown bearings you asked about but Even Timkens aren't what they used to be.