Are these metal shavings in my transmission fluid a sign of impending doom?

mvoltin

New to me 2005 6MT TJ with 134K miles and very little info on maintenance. Just changed the transmission fluid and found lots of metal shavings with some up to 1/8" (see the pictures). Is this a clear sign of impeding doom or normal if the fluid was not changed in a long time? Other than occasional grinding when putting into the second gear too fast, the transmission shifts great. thanks
image1.jpeg
image0 (2).jpeg

Its a sign of normal accumulation after years of no service ...it will be fine ...service it, shift it like you want it to last, and you will be fine. Seen some go ages with bad synchros,etc.

That magnet is there for that reason...all transmissions lose metal, but its not broken teeth usually , thats is microns of wear when you look at the expanded surface of those gears , and it took a lot of driving to produce that.

Redline has a great reputation here, but check the resources for application for your transmission.

Last edited:
If its any consolation my 06 magnet looked the same after I changed the oil, my filler plug had never been touched since factory yellow paint marked. Swarf wasn't quite as big as in your second pic but a magnet covered in Swarf like yours none the less. if your second gear change was playing up before then don't put Redline in it is what I say!
I had zero gear change issues until I put Redline in and now my 1st to second change is a constant fucking pig plain and simple!
I have never even bothered to change oil in a gearbox before I got a TJ and let me tell you Redline is a fully synthetic "performance oil" and in my opinion way too thin for every day use in manual TJ,s but more suited to high performance motorcycles!
Performance oils are not needed or warranted else Mopar would have been performance rated thin shit!

If its any consolation my 06 magnet looked the same after I changed the oil, my filler plug had never been touched since factory yellow paint marked. Swarf wasn't quite as big as in your second pic but a magnet covered in Swarf like yours none the less. if your second gear change was playing up before then don't put Redline in it is what I say!
I had zero gear change issues until I put Redline in and now my 1st to second change is a constant fucking pig plain and simple!
I have never even bothered to change oil in a gearbox before I got a TJ and let me tell you Redline is a fully synthetic "performance oil" and in my opinion way too thin for every day use in manual TJ,s but more suited to high performance motorcycles!
Performance oils are not needed or warranted else Mopar would have been performance rated thin shit!
I bought mine with 198K miles and went about changing all the fluids. My magnet was similarly full of particles.

My shift from 1-2 had a slight grind with the old fluid. After refilling with Redline MTL the shift is smooth. Maybe it was just needing new fluid? It's odd that some have a miracle cure (like me) and your's is worse!

Reactions: Fishtaco and AndyG
I bought mine with 198K miles and went about changing all the fluids. My magnet was similarly full of particles.

My shift from 1-2 had a slight grind with the old fluid. After refilling with Redline MTL the shift is smooth. Maybe it was just needing new fluid? It's odd that some have a miracle cure (like me) and your's is worse!
Similar situation. 195k with no service record, and I had about the same amount of fine particulate built up on the magnet when I changed the fluid the other day.

Edit - Did the Reline fluid as well. Mine didn't grind but it was getting difficult the get into 1st and 2nd, especially while cold.