Are these Rough Country control arms any good?

Erik V

TJ Enthusiast
Are these Rough Country controll arms any good?
Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

Is $$$ a serious problem that would prevent you from buying better quality/longer-lasting control arms that use the Johnnie Joint?

Personally I wouldn't touch anything from Rough Country or Skyjacker for a Jeep that will see a lot of offroading.

What are you planning on doing with the Jeep? Serious off-roading, or mostly just on-road with the occasional off-road adventure?

I just came across them looking at aftermarket parts. I wasn’t planning on buying them but I was just curious about them.
However I am in the market for some adjustable control arms but not looking to spend a fortune. I drive 95% on the road but hit the beach once in a while, no trails.
I was interested in the Core controll arms, they look to be the best bang for the buck.

I was interested in the Core controll arms, they look to be the best bang for the buck.
Core's Tier 1 control arms with bushings in both ends make them a terrible design. Really. Bushings don't flex as well as flex joints do. That can be a serious enough problem that they can place enough stress on the control arm mounts to physically rip them away from the frame or axle where they are welded in place.

If you buy their better arms that have Johnnie Joints they'd be ok. I'd stick strictly with their Tier 2 with a Johnny Joint on one end and rubber bushing on the other, or Tier 4 with Johnny Joints on both ends. I wouldn't want anything with polyurethane bushings like in their Tier 3 design which are prone to squeak and they don't flex as well as rubber does.

For the cost of their Tier 4 arms I'd rather run Savvy or Currie control arms that have Johnnie Joints in both ends.

I was thinking the tier 2 would be ok for me.
I’m on a budget courtesy of the wife’s “ do you really need it “ plan, lol.

Reactions: Airjunky
Core's Tier 1 control arms with bushings in both ends make them a terrible design. Really. Bushings don't flex as well as flex joints do. That can be a serious enough problem that they can place enough stress on the control arm mounts to physically rip them away from the frame or axle where they are welded in place.

If you buy their better arms that have Johnnie Joints they'd be ok. I'd stick strictly with their Tier 2 with a Johnny Joint on one end and rubber bushing on the other, or Tier 4 with Johnny Joints on both ends. I wouldn't want anything with polyurethane bushings like in their Tier 3 design which are prone to squeak and they don't flex as well as rubber does.

For the cost of their Tier 4 arms I'd rather run Savvy or Currie control arms that have Johnnie Joints in both ends.
Jerry FYI, I just went to Core 4x4 today to inquire about making me some custom arms. Spence, the owner gave me a 30 second tour and showed me their shop as we went to take some measurements. Their bushings are not a solid bushing and are similar to a DDB or the metal cloak, which suprised me but they are NOT a DDB, Metalcloak, or Girro joint. They are some type of poly that will rotate and flex within the joint about 15 degrees side to side. Also, their higher end arms use real JJ from what I could see. I could not build a set of custom arms for what they are willing to charge me and they have a real nice pair of CNC lathe setups. I will try to get a few pics when I go back in a week or so. Their prices were not too bad and just like some of the other suppliers, their stuff is MADE IN THE USA.

Last edited:
I just went down to Core's shop, they are building me a set of short arms that I can put in DDB's and the price was excellent. I will be less than 950 into a set of arms with DDB's.

Reactions: Airjunky and DuncLJ
Just installed a set of Core 4x4 Tier 3 lowers. Uppers will come next month. Johnny joints at the frame and tapered flex poly at the axles (very impressed with them so far). I'm willing to be a test mule for them. I'll report back good or bad.

Well? Its been about 9 months now, anything to report back?
Well, they look and perform great. I recommend highly. I've always been the guy who is not afraid to try something new, even if I have to learn a lesson or two along the way. In this case I have only positives to report.