Are valve cover baffles required?

RockBottomTJ

When you pull the valve cover and look at the underside of it (inside) the baffles up top - are they necessarily required? I hear a lot of people taking them out for clearance or otherwise... Thoughts?

When you pull the valve cover and look at the underside of it (inside) the baffles up top - are they necessarily required? I hear a lot of people taking them out for clearance or otherwise... Thoughts?

large scale manufacturing really does boil down to bean counting. No one would have put those baffles there unless some testing or simulation (or unfortunately sometimes customer experience) had generated strong enough suggestion that leaving them out would cost more in warranty claims than putting them in would cost in extra material and process time to install them.

Now, if you're talking about clearancing them to fit around something, you're probably ok because they'll still function, but I wouldn't take them out.

I've read that "people" will trim or remove the baffles when changing to higher lift rocker arms.

There is no reason to trim anything on a stock engine.

Baffles are there for a reason. I'm not intimately familiar with our Jeep engines, but on the little Japanese engines I used to work on for a living they were critical to PCV functionality, helping to scavenge and vent out blow by gasses. I'd see no point in removing them unless you're doing some serious modifications.

When I changed the valve cover gasket on my 99 there was no baffle or evidence that there had ever been one. As far as I know it's the OEM valve cover

When I changed the valve cover gasket on my 99 there was no baffle or evidence that there had ever been one. As far as I know it's the OEM valve cover

I think some years don't have baffles, some do.