Arizona Rock Crawler

I’m going to use @toximus method. He did a great job documenting. My plan is to use that method but cut the line 1/4” lower. Reason being the fender sags by roughly 1/4” for most of it. So I’ll cut it low and then flap disc the front and rear and taper it in. Should give me a line that follows the fender pretty well.

I’m going to use @toximus method. He did a great job documenting. My plan is to use that method but cut the line 1/4” lower. Reason being the fender sags by roughly 1/4” for most of it. So I’ll cut it low and then flap disc the front and rear and taper it in. Should give me a line that follows the fender pretty well.
If you use a simple drawing compass/divider you can draw the cut line and it will transfer it exactly from the fender to the hood. For an angle grinder cut you can cut it exact with some patience. Make several very light passes, and after you have a good score from the thin cut it will follow the line nearly exact.

If you use a simple drawing compass you can draw the cut line and it will transfer it exactly from the fender to the hood. For an angle grinder cut you can cut it exact with some patience. Make several very light passes, and after you have a good score from the thin cut it will follow the line nearly exact.
The problem with the scribe or compass is you have to assume that the front of the fender is raised by the same amount as the rear versus the stock fender. But the fender is adjustable front and rear so you can’t assume the hood needs to be cut at the same height all the way down the hood line

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
The problem with the scribe or compass is you have to assume that the front of the fender is raised by the same amount as the rear versus the stock fender. But the fender is adjustable front and rear so you can’t assume the hood needs to be cut at the same height all the way down the hood line
Nerve racking regardless I’m sure.

Nerve racking regardless I’m sure.
Yes especially because it’s a very visible cut but at this point I feel like I’ve done so much cutting and grinding on the Jeep I’m a little numb to it. I’ve accepted that it’s a crawler not a show Jeep at this point lol. But I will strive for both!

You need to ask whoever did this highline hood how to get a perfect 3/16" gap front to back.

71AB1446-BDB6-44B5-A0DD-70CF7D632956.jpeg

my line was nice n tight when 1st done. later i installed the full louver and it did let the hood flex a hair. right in the center about a 32nd.
i taped the hood sides and the fender top so nothing got scratched or drawn all over, if i messed up or didn't like a line i could peel it and lay another.

Reactions: JMT
Thinking back to your idea. If I can get the hood to just barely touch the fender. I can use your idea to create the desired space between hood and fender. For example 3/16” as Chris mentioned.
Keep in mind you can add some door edge trim to the cut edge which will give you some flexibility too.