Armor color match question

I was referring to your estimates.
I paid 3500 to do a complete color change on this one. The hard top was an additional 800 and the grill is fully painted inside and out.
DSC_4353.JPG
DSC_4451.JPG

$10,000. You can have any color as long as it's satin black. Do you prefer Rust-Oleum or Krylon?
I already bought the Walmart spray can paint for $1 a can. Is that acceptable? It worked great on my frame.
p.s. Would you take a check for $10,000 after I inspect the job and get home to Va? I bought my Jeep back a year ago for $9,000.

I paid 3500 to do a complete color change on this one. The hard top was an additional 800 and the grill is fully painted inside and out.
View attachment 264780View attachment 264781

This is what I want.

The paint on my Jeep is terrible, scratches, dents, crappy touch ups. (Mine looks like the before picture)

I might take your advice and just take the Jeep apart to have them paint it. It would be easier to give them fenders, hood, grille and I'll do all the labor.

amateur hour

Bitcoin
You seem like you're a shady business like mrblaine said. Paypal? They usually give me a refund AND I get to keep the parts. BBB is rough on shade tree businesses. I got a free transmission after buying a used car and the trans going out within a week.

Last edited:
This is what I want.

The paint on my Jeep is terrible, scratches, dents, crappy touch ups. (Mine looks like the before picture)

I might take your advice and just take the Jeep apart to have them paint it. It would be easier to give them fenders, hood, grille and I'll do all the labor.
Be prepared for the "it's red so it costs more" speech. Tell them that you understand and it isn't a problem. It's all bullshit anyway since none of it is cheap. Don't be afraid of the water borne stuff either, it is good paint.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
Be prepared for the "it's red so it costs more" speech. Tell them that you understand and it isn't a problem. It's all bullshit anyway since none of it is cheap. Don't be afraid of the water borne stuff either, it is good paint.
I can tell you've talked to a lot of painters. I heard those exact words 2-3 times.

Oh and heaven for bid you own a car with metallic!

I can tell you've talked to a lot of painters. I heard those exact words 2-3 times.

Metallic red is tricky, especially the shade your jeep is. It would be a 3 stage process. I just went thru this on a project. Customer opted out to do just red and not metallic red because of the cost. Think it’s one of the reasons you see very few metallic red cars. This was not for a car, but for a sign project. We mix our own paints, but nothing was in our system for a nice metallic red. The reason I found out is because adding metallic to red darkens it too much.

Talking to my paint supplier you have to lay down the red, then lay the metallic/pearl and then the clear.

i have not had these issue with other colors and being metallic….

I worked at a job where I was responsible for the appearance of 40 ambulances. I was liaison between the company and the body shops, powder coaters, upholstery, fabrication, medical gas, and graphics shops. I talked to a lot of body shops, I spent massive amounts of time training them up to do our work to our standards. Then I worked at a body shop as general flunky and quality control monkey. I hate body shops with a passion and if I never had to deal with another prima donna painter again, I'd die a happy man.
Metallics will never match perfectly due to flop unless you spray the whole car assembled and do the jambs separate. Flop is how the metallic lays down as it comes out of the gun and the light reflecting off the metal "flake" will look different when viewed from the same angle if the parts are panel painted versus shot on the car.

You can do online comparisons to check the price. I just did a 1 gallon complete kit in white and red on TCP Global in their premium urethane.

White kit is 369.00
Red kit is 427.00 or a difference of 58 dollars.

A gallon of base coat in white is 153 and a gallon of red is 208. A 50 dollar difference in material cost is nothing in terms of the overall cost of materials but they act like red is just too much money for anyone to ever use and it is but a pittance when it comes to a 3500 dollar paint job. But yet they persist in acting like we're all gonna die if we have to buy red paint.

You can do online comparisons to check the price. I just did a 1 gallon complete kit in white and red on TCP Global in their premium urethane.

White kit is 369.00
Red kit is 427.00 or a difference of 58 dollars.

A gallon of base coat in white is 153 and a gallon of red is 208. A 50 dollar difference in material cost is nothing in terms of the overall cost of materials but they act like red is just too much money for anyone to ever use and it is but a pittance when it comes to a 3500 dollar paint job. But yet they persist in acting like we're all gonna die if we have to buy red paint.
what might it typically take to shoot a whole TJ tub, windscreen frame and door jambs , nothin in the tub really.

ready to spray OE match PJC khaki metallic is $495 a gl or $125 a qt.

what might it typically take to shoot a whole TJ tub, windscreen frame and door jambs , nothin in the tub really.

ready to spray OE match PJC khaki metallic is $495 a gl or $125 a qt.
I had them get a gallon for the orange one above because I didn't want to take a chance on running out and having to have more matched.

Reactions: someguysjeep
So I just got this quote to paint 2 fenders and 2 half doors. It does not include painting the armor. They estimated $700-800 for that.

@mrblaine thoughts?

I asked how much would it go down if I removed all the parts and they said subtract $400ish

0849C9E8-3F72-4B0B-B593-6151A1EF82B5.jpeg