ASD kill switch

Yes of course it has been done before, it's a good way to kill the Jeep so it can't easily be stolen. Just make sure the connections, wiring, and switch are "bulletproof". You don't want the switch to have any reasonable ability to prevent your Jeep from starting. Select a good heavy-duty SPST (single pole single throw which is a simple on-off switch) switch, not one of those small microswitches that are seldom built very strongly.

Like this....

2terminalspst.jpg

And make sure you know what circuit to insert the switch into. Yes it is the ground side, but the switch belongs in the ground side of the energizing coil that actuates the relay. Not the ground side of the contacts that make connections for various devices.

Thanks Jerry, can you be more specific on the wiring, So I will need to break the coil negative side to the relay, right?
Yes, cut the ground side wire under the socket, you'll have to unbolt the power distribution center assembly to do so. Don't open up the relay itself.

That's not the ASD relay circuit being discussed.

My approach would be to cut the 18 gauge dark-blue with yellow tracer wire (K51) connected to the ASD relay's socket at B5. Make the cut several inches back from where it connects to the base of the relay socket to give room for splicing the switch wiring in. Then carefully spice in the wiring that leads to the on-off disabler switch that is being added.

Insulate the splices and switch connections well and carefully because one of the wires being added (the side connected to the relay socket) will have 12 volts on it whenever the ignition switch is on whenever the engine is not running.

Turning the new on-off switch off will disable the ASD relay. The Powertrain Control Module it connects to below provides a ground to that wire to energize the relay, which only happens when the engine computer is happy with all of its inputs from the various sensors like the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor.

ASD Relay wiring.JPG

Reactions: NicKnack
That's not the ASD relay circuit being discussed.

My approach would be to cut the 18 gauge dark-blue with yellow tracer wire (K51) connected to the ASD relay's socket at B5. Make the cut several inches back from where it connects to the base of the relay socket to give room for splicing the switch wiring in. Then carefully spice in the wiring that leads to the on-off disabler switch that is being added.

Insulate the splices and switch connections well and carefully because one of the wires being added (the side connected to the relay socket) will have 12 volts on it whenever the ignition switch is on whenever the engine is not running.

Turning the new on-off switch off will disable the ASD relay. The Powertrain Control Module it connects to below provides a ground to that wire to energize the relay, which only happens when the engine computer is happy with all of its inputs from the various sensors like the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor.

View attachment 15069
So is there an advantage to doing it this way vs. this thread I was originally looking at?

There are advantages and disadvantages to a hundred ways of disabling a vehicle. I only responded to the OP's question about doing it by installing a switch in the ASD relay circuit.

Yes of course it has been done before, it's a good way to kill the Jeep so it can't easily be stolen. Just make sure the connections, wiring, and switch are "bulletproof". You don't want the switch to have any reasonable ability to prevent your Jeep from starting. Select a good heavy-duty SPST (single pole single throw which is a simple on-off switch) switch, not one of those small microswitches that are seldom built very strongly.

Like this....

View attachment 15062
And make sure you know what circuit to insert the switch into. Yes it is the ground side, but the switch belongs in the ground side of the energizing coil that actuates the relay. Not the ground side of the contacts that make connections for various devices.
What about 2005 to Jeep Wrangler...will the dark blue yellow tracer be the wire for the ASD TO INSTALL A KILLSWITCH..??? Also, doing so on the off position, will all my settings to my sound stereo system have to be reset, each time I switch it back to on..???

What about 2005 to Jeep Wrangler...will the dark blue yellow tracer be the wire for the ASD TO INSTALL A KILLSWITCH..??? Also, doing so on the off position, will all my settings to my sound stereo system have to be reset, each time I switch it back to on..???
The wiring colors have apparently changed in the ASD wiring circuit for your 2005. The below schematic is from the 2005 Mopar FSM.

What I would do is cut the brown wire with white tracer where I placed the red X and insert a good high quality SPST on-off switch into that wire. This is the same modification I suggested above but with the updated wiring colors for your 2005. This is a critical circuit so take your time.

ASD Relay.JPG

Reactions: Zorba
IIRC; after cutting that wire (ASD relay control), I only ran one wire from the relay to my switch (at the dash). Then from the switch to a nearby ground. Works fine, and is still only on when the keyed switched power is on. Just not being controlled (grounded) by the PCM.

IIRC; after cutting that wire (ASD relay control), I only ran one wire from the relay to my switch (at the dash). Then from the switch to a nearby ground. Works fine, and is still only on when the keyed switched power is on. Just not being controlled (grounded) by the PCM.
You don't want to do it that way or the fuel pump would continue running when the engine is stopped or there's a problem where the engine should be cut off but the key is on. Insert the switch between the two ends of the cut wire to keep things working properly so everything gets shut off properly when there's a problem like if the engine won't start. The other side of the switch needs to connect to the PCM connection so it can control the ASD relay through the switch when it is closed.

Reactions: Zorba
You don't want to do it that way or the fuel pump would continue running when the engine is stopped or there's a problem where the engine should be cut off but the key is on. Insert the switch between the two ends of the cut wire to keep things working properly so everything gets shut off properly when there's a problem like if the engine won't start. The other side of the switch needs to connect to the PCM connection so it can control the ASD relay through the switch when it is closed.
That's not how I read it. The ASD relay does not control the fuel pump.

The wiring colors have apparently changed in the ASD wiring circuit for your 2005. The below schematic is from the 2005 Mopar FSM.

What I would do is cut the brown wire with white tracer where I placed the red X and insert a good high quality SPST on-off switch into that wire. This is the same modification I suggested above but with the updated wiring colors for your 2005. This is a critical circuit so take your time.

View attachment 220366
Also, the black ground from the switch goes to the PCM..??? Or to the ASD relay..???

That's not how I read it. The ASD relay does not control the fuel pump.
Not directly but it does through the PCM. When the ASD relay has been disabled due to a problem (like the engine has not started or it died) the PCM will shut the fuel pump relay off. The ASD relay directly controls the power to the injectors, O2 sensor heaters, and ignition coil system.

Also, the black ground from the switch goes to the PCM..??? Or to the ASD relay..???
What black wire from the switch? You're only connecting it in between the two cut halves of the br/wt wire as shown in the above diagram. When you add wiring to allow the remote location of the switch, the wiring from the switch goes only to those two cut ends. You're just placing an on-off switch in that wire. Don't connect it to anything else. You cut the wire at the red X as shown and then the switch gets connected to those two cut halves of that wire.

Last edited:
10-4, what I meant was the color of the wiring to the switch whether it’s black/ground ,red/common(hot) ... basically like you said, with your instructions...splice into the brw/white tracer wire...each lead will be a splice an connected to a switch. Correct..? Now will a 20amp single throw switch be sufficient..??? Considering the wire gauge is 18awg#...

The color of the wiring you add between the switch and relay doesn't matter. The exact amperage rating of the switch is insignificant since less than an amp will be passing through it. Most important is its quality and ability to remain absolutely reliable and operational. Like avoid a plastic toggle, avoid inexpensive light duty switches. If this switch or its attached wiring fails your engine will die or won't start. Take pains to do this job with utmost reliability as your #1 goal.