Audio upgrade...again

skrelnik

TJ Addict
Lifetime Supporting Member
I have this problem of always wanting to improve my audio, so I went at it again. Heading into this update I had an Alpine head unit leading to a 4 channel amplifier which powered my front 4x6 kenwood and my rear speaker pods. In each pod I had a 5.25" mid and 1" tweeter component set, with a passive crossover also inside the speaker pod. I had a second amplifier powering the Kicker woofer in the center console.

This was a great set-up but not perfect as the speaker pods are above your head which is not the most ideal place for your main speakers. The front dash speakers are essentially sending the music to your knees, so this began my quest for yet another upgrade.

I utilize all of my interior space so I cannot sacrifice space under any circumstance, so I thought of placing speaker pods in the A pillar trim. By placing tweeter pods in the lower A pillar the audio is now on axis and blowing music in your face. I am not sacrificing any interior space and should be able to have a clean install.

The end result is what I wanted, the music is crystal clear, with no top on and driving highway speeds I feel that I am encapsulated in a bubble of quality sounds. All I hear is the music when hitting 60mph, wind noise is no longer overshadowing my tunes.

What I ended up doing is going fully active and getting a new head unit which has HD radio and a Qualcomm aptX chip for better quality bluetooth streaming. This HU goes to a 5 channel amplifier (had this amp from a prior build) that is powering the 4 front speakers, which are from my old speaker pods, the 5.25" and 1" mentioned above. The 1" tweeters are in the A pillar speaker pods while the 5.25" were relocated to the OEM front dash location. The 5th channel is powering the Kicker woofer in the center console.

Then I am using a two channel amplifier to power the 6.5" woofers in the speaker pods. I used my original speaker pods since my exising pods(purchased used) were carved up to place two speakers per pod. Pods are stuffed with polyfill to ensure no rattle and good sound. Also used thick tape inside the light covers so they would not rattle.

Very happy with end results. While this is not for everyone, there may be a few others with an audio itch like mine, and I highly recommend this route. Speaker pods can be made cheaply or purchased on online. Link to a DIYMA DIY speaker pod is below. Not made by me, but it was helpful to generate ideas.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/foru...y-replaceable-tweeter-pods.html#/topics/53732

20180708_193310.jpg

20180708_193239.jpg

20180708_193241.jpg

20180628_072349.jpg

20180628_072326.jpg

20180628_072341.jpg

Sorry skrelnik, I meant the woofers in the sound pods. My speakers up there are noisy.

No rattling at all. I stuffed them with polyfill and there is no rattle. What is rattling on yours? The light covers can rattle, is that what is rattling on your pods?

The Kicker sub in my center console only rattles if I turn it up to 10 (which is way too much bass anyways). I keep it at 5 (the halfway mark), and it sounds perfect and doesn't rattle at all. I honestly have no clue how you could listen to music with it set at 10.

No rattling at all. I stuffed them with polyfill and there is no rattle. What is rattling on yours? The light covers can rattle, is that what is rattling on your pods?

I think it may be the light covers as well. Not really that much stuff up there lol.

I also need to buy steel mounting plates for my fronts. The plastic one crack and are noises as well.

How did you stop the light cover rattle?

The Kicker sub in my center console only rattles if I turn it up to 10 (which is way too much bass anyways). I keep it at 5 (the halfway mark), and it sounds perfect and doesn't rattle at all. I honestly have no clue how you could listen to music with it set at 10.

Yeah, it sounds terrible when turned up that high. I originally had an amplifier sending 300 watts to the Kicker sub in the center console, now I am using 70 watts and it is so much better. Those 300 watts are now going to the speaker pods, which are the Polk 6502, no tweeters, only the woofers, so I am able to get additional bass from both pods, with no rattle. These 6.5" Polks are controlled via a DSP so the woofers do not receive high frequencies, and are not at risk to be blown.

Reactions: Chris
I think it may be the light covers as well. Not really that much stuff up there lol.

I also need to buy steel mounting plates for my fronts. The plastic one crack and are noises as well.

How did you stop the light cover rattle?

My covers rattled so I added double sided cushion tape which eliminated all of the rattle. Less than 5 bucks at Target or WalMart.

Make sure the pods themselves are tightly screwed into the rollbar. Its a PITA with a hardtop, but soft top or no top is simple.

Yeah, it sounds terrible when turned up that high. I originally had an amplifier sending 300 watts to the Kicker sub in the center console, now I am using 70 watts and it is so much better. Those 300 watts are now going to the speaker pods, which are the Polk 6502, no tweeters, only the woofers, so I am able to get additional bass from both pods, with no rattle. These 6.5" Polks are controlled via a DSP so the woofers do not receive high frequencies, and are not at risk to be blown.

Yep. Too much bass just completely ruins the music anyways. I've got it at that very happy medium where it's obvious I've got a subwoofer, but it it no way takes away from the quality of the music.

Reactions: skrelnik
Yep. Too much bass just completely ruins the music anyways. I've got it at that very happy medium where it's obvious I've got a subwoofer, but it it no way takes away from the quality of the music.

Exactly, some people want 2000 watts of bass, I care more about sound quality, and the tweeters are the focal point for my ears, and why relocating them to the A pillars made such a positive difference. Then the added bonus of the 6.5" Polks on the speakers pods gives a little more bass and fills in the rear sound.

Reactions: Chris