Auto Trans Shifter Will Not Lock (42LRE)

GSO06UNL

Morning,

Question regarding son's Jeep. Noticed recently I could move the shifter/trans selector out of Park with the key removed. Surprised, as I didn't expect to find that and believe (if I'm reading tech manuals correctly) it shouldn't be "allowed." However, with the key in the "Run" position and engine off, the brake pedal must be depressed for the shifter to move out of Park.

Question: Should the shifter/trans selector remain locked in Park with the key removed? Appreciate any advice on next steps if not operating by design. Service manual excerpt from Trans section on interlock system is below:

"The system locks the shifter into the PARK position. The Interlock system is engaged whenever the ignition switch is in the LOCK or ACCESSORY position. An additional electrically activated feature will prevent shifting out of the PARK position unless the brake pedal is depressed at least one-half an inch. A magnetic holding device in line with the park/brake interlock cable is energized when the ignition is in the RUN position. When the key is in the RUN position and the brake pedal is depressed, the shifter is unlocked and will move into any position."

Thanks,
GSO06UNL

Morning,

Question regarding son's Jeep. Noticed recently I could move the shifter/trans selector out of Park with the key removed. Surprised, as I didn't expect to find that and believe (if I'm reading tech manuals correctly) it shouldn't be "allowed." However, with the key in the "Run" position and engine off, the brake pedal must be depressed for the shifter to move out of Park.

Question: Should the shifter/trans selector remain locked in Park with the key removed? Appreciate any advice on next steps if not operating by design. Service manual excerpt from Trans section on interlock system is below:

"The system locks the shifter into the PARK position. The Interlock system is engaged whenever the ignition switch is in the LOCK or ACCESSORY position. An additional electrically activated feature will prevent shifting out of the PARK position unless the brake pedal is depressed at least one-half an inch. A magnetic holding device in line with the park/brake interlock cable is energized when the ignition is in the RUN position. When the key is in the RUN position and the brake pedal is depressed, the shifter is unlocked and will move into any position."

Thanks,
GSO06UNL
You'll need to do some diagnostics. Find the cable that runs from the shifter up to the ignition lock cylinder area. There is a solenoid on it near the lock cylinder. You should be able to feel it working if you hold it and cycle the key on and off. After that you will need to see if it has been bypassed. At the base of the shifter is a pivot lever that gets moved when the solenoid pulls the cable that allows the shifter to push down on the lever to move out of park into the other detents. You can push in on the shifter release button to see how it works. It may have the pivot lever locked down to allow it to come out of park due to the solenoid failing, not plugged in, cable broken, etc.

Pull the front half of the console, knee bolster, and lower half of the steering column bezel.

Any idea on what this connector might go to? Found when I dropped the knee bolster panel. Doesn’t go to solenoid, wiring is attached.

03055B40-B4F1-451B-A523-932DCAB6E903.jpeg

Thank you. I did not feel the solenoid working this morning while cycling the key on and off...so perhaps that's the issue. Of note, I did change the ignition switch (key would fall out while running), actuator (broken rod) and switch (because I had it apart!) within the last year. Not sure if this issue preceded the replacement of the parts.

Thanks again and Happy Easter.

Thank you. I did not feel the solenoid working this morning while cycling the key on and off...so perhaps that's the issue. Of note, I did change the ignition switch (key would fall out while running), actuator (broken rod) and switch (because I had it apart!) within the last year. Not sure if this issue preceded the replacement of the parts.

Thanks again and Happy Easter.
There is an actuator thread for the ignition switch. I suspect you may have lost a little part in there that makes the solenoid function.