Automatic Transmission Issue

ManInBlack06

Hey guys and gals,

Having some Automatic Transmission issues on my 06 4.0. Was crossing a bridge running about 50 MPH in 4th when out of the blue I lose all gears and its revving to 4K RPM. Get it pulled over and I am left with only 1st Gear, no reverse, Nothing. When I try to accelerate, all I get is to the second gear shift point and then nothing.

Ran my code reader, and got a P0700 and P0732 code. I know you wont get a P0700 code without a following code. does anyone have any tips, suggestions, or ideas as to a solution to repair, or even better where to even start when repairng.

any response will be greatly aprecciated!

Reactions: Wranglerfix
The first thing you need to do is pull the pan and see what in the world is in the pan/fluid.

A rebuild/replacement is a likely possibility.

First thing to do is to start the engine and while it's running check the ATF level. That code can be nothing more than low ATF. If it's low add enough ATF+4 to bring it up to the full mark. Insert a small funnel into its dipstick tube to make it easier. Add nothing but ATF+4, nothing else is correct. Keep in mind the engine MUST be running while checking its ATF level.

Of course I was told that the transmission had been replaced previously when I first purchased it 4 years ago, but they didn't have any paper work to go along with it of course. :mad:

Good, I personally would double check it. It needs to be all the way to the full mark. It's better for an automatic transmission to be slightly overfilled than even slightly underfilled any at all.

If the level is still full I'd be suspicious you might have a bad PCM. 05-06 PCMs have a known problem with the 42RLE automatic transmission controller, they can literally blow up inside. What do you think Mark? @Wranglerfix

Www.wranglerfix.com has figured out the fix but it requires replacing the PCM. If that's the issue it's certainly less expensive than replacing the transmission is.

@ManInBlack06 Did you have any other intermittent issues such as: High transmission temps, faulty o2 sensor readings and 1600 codes?

Here is what Alldata says about the p0732 code:

You can also mail the pcm into us and we will run it through a drive cycle in our Jeep!

2006 Jeep Truck Wrangler

L6-4.0L VIN S

P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio​

P0732

DTCP0732

Symptom DescriptorGear 2 Incorrect Ratio

Verified Fixes
Fix Description
Automatic Transmission Speed Sensor

Probable Causes:

Intermittent Gear Ratio Errors, Related Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) Present, Related Pressure Switch Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) Present, Transmission Internal Damage

Thanks,

Mark

When I try to accelerate, all I get is to the second gear shift point and then nothing.

When it faulted out, it went into limp mode.
After resetting, it might run normal until it happens again.
IMO, I would do a fluid flush and check harness plugs.
Drive it, and wait for another code.
0732 - might need a shift solenoid pack.

When it faulted out, it went into limp mode.
After resetting, it should run normal until it happens again.
IMO, I would do a fluid flush and check harness plugs.
Drive it, and wait for another code.
0732 - might need a shift solenoid pack.

Op said the transmission went into neutral. When it goes into limp it will default to second gear and should still have reverse. Sounds like internal failure ( broken one-way or band) check fluid first, disconnect battery reset and try to drive, that worked one mine for a few months until I was 300 miles from home and it completely failed.

Op said the transmission went into neutral. When it goes into limp it will default to second gear and should still have reverse. Sounds like internal failure ( broken one-way or band) check fluid first, disconnect battery reset and try to drive, that worked one mine for a few months until I was 300 miles from home and it completely failed.

Maybe. I'm certainly no expert.
Hard to tell if it actually went to neutral.
Dropping to 2nd gear and hitting 4k rpm may make one think the transmission has let loose, but getting the vehicle pulled over safely becomes a priority.
I've had two different transmission issues (2 different jeeps) that gradually got worse. Limp mode kicked in a little earlier each time I drove it.
Neither required a full rebuild.

i tried disconnecting the batter when it happened and got nothing. I just checked the fluid again and its only getting to the HOT stamp on the dipstick. im going to try to add some fluid to see if that makes a difference. is the shift solenoid pack internal in the transmission?

i tried disconnecting the batter when it happened and got nothing. I just checked the fluid again and its only getting to the HOT stamp on the dipstick. im going to try to add some fluid to see if that makes a difference. is the shift solenoid pack internal in the transmission?

I changed one on my 04 WJ GC.
It wasn't that hard.
IIRC, I was getting p0750.
I think @Jerry Bransford has replaced one on his.

If you can clear the limp mode (and it drives ok)
maybe take it to a transmission shop just to see what they say.
They may be able to pull more codes.

Reactions: hear
The solenoid pack is inside the transmission on top of the valve body. That component with the light green ring is the solenoid pack. I had to replace mine a couple years ago.

20180626_142936_resized~2.jpg

Reactions: sideproject
Well guys, i tried adding fluid to it and that got me nowhere. Dropped the Transmission pan tonight and luckily no pieces of transmission in the bottom of it. no metal shards. just nice clean fluid. going to drop the valve body and replace the solenoid.

thanks guys for your advice and guidance

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Well guys, i tried adding fluid to it and that got me nowhere. Dropped the Transmission pan tonight and luckily no pieces of transmission in the bottom of it. no metal shards. just nice clean fluid. going to drop the valve body and replace the solenoid.

thanks guys for your advice and guidance

if it was still pretty red fluid & no chunks, then I'd be reasonably confident you didn't lose your clutches. Here is a matrix of what components are in use for each gear on the 42RLE, which can help you troubleshoot what is working. I don't know which solenoids control which clutch application, but that would be handy.

I am curious to understand exactly what happens when you drive it, although if you've already drained the fluid it's probably too late to do any further diagnostics. On my 32RH I lost my kickdown band, which resulted in no 2nd gear. I could wind first gear waaay up...it would miss the shift to 2nd because it couldn't apply the band, but 3rd gear doesn't use the band and instead applies a different clutch, so it was able to do the shift to 3rd gear.

I bring this up because if you have 1st gear than you know the under drive & low/reverse clutches are applying. And if you were in OD at the time of the incident you had the overdrive & 2/4 clutches applied....one or both of them ceased being applied for some reason [either clutches gave up the ghost or the solenoid stopped applying them or a piston seal blew preventing them from being applied]. Let's guess that it was the 2/4 clutch that died. If so, then going from 1st to 2nd would be problematic because to go from 1 to 2 you remove the low/reverse clutch but add the 2/4 clutch. If it ain't there, then you get whatever happens whenever the low/reverse is not applied but the under drive is...no clue. That's why I want to know what your jeep does as you rev past that shift point. Do you lose power? Does it all just shut down? Does the earth shake on its axis? Or can you power through to the next shift point and find 3rd gear?

There is a section in the FSM on how to air test the transmission with it in the car. It's probably worth testing overdrive & 2/4 clutch application (all of them, really) with air pressure while the valve body is out. I'd hate for you to swap out the solenoids only to find out that the piston seal is shot.

ps. I can't account for why you don't have reverse. Better knowledge of the solenoid control might explain everything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1672895765437.png

When it failed I pretty much lost everything. Only having 1st gear left. When I would accelerate in first as soon as it would get to the shift point of 2nd gear it would lose all gear, and rev as high as it could according to the amount of throttle I give it. Nothing else happens at all. it wont get to another shift point or anything and wont shift back down to 1st at all. i have to turn the ignition off and back on for me to have 1st gear only again. Im going to drop the valve body next week and start some more trouble shooting.

thanks for the information, and ill try to see if any of those could be my culprit as well