Automatic transmission seems stuck between park and reverse

Beavis

Seems like it’s stuck between park n reverse. Can’t get into any gears. Grinds when I try to put in park. It won’t go into park either.

Does it seem like it’s the shifter button? 03-06 had issues of the plastic part inside the automatic shifter breaking. If you pop the shifter handle off you can see if it’s broken and a chopstick cut to length will do the trick. When it happened on my old TJ, it wouldn’t go into or out of park.

Shifter is off. It will move forward now but I can’t get into neutral park or reverse doesn’t grind any more so I think tge transfer was causing that

I had mine fall off where the shifter connects under the Jeep. That was a small bushing that needed to be replaced. You can shift it by hand in the meantime, just have to crawl under the Jeep to do so.

I think a ring clip broke on this park think inside the pan. Now it’s half in park n only have forward. From what I been reading

I think a ring clip broke on this park think inside the pan. Now it’s half in park n only have forward. From what I been reading
You checked the external clip that holds the cable to the shift lever? I don't think there's a clip inside the pan.