Automatic transmission shift points

JCross

Hi,
My sons 1999 Wrangler w/4.0 and auto trans doesn't upshift from 2nd to 3rd until about 45 MPH. that seems high to me. This is our first Jeep, so we are learning as we go on this one.
Is there a way to change the shift point so he isn't running in 2nd at 3500 rpm while driving around town, which is most of his driving?

The Jeep has a 4" lift and running 33's. It was re-geared by the PO...not exactly sure which gears are in it...they seem at least in the ball park of being appropriate for the tires. It just seems weird it won't upshift any sooner.

Thanks!

Sounds like someone tightened the transmission's TV (kickdown) cable too much. It needs to be adjusted so its slack is just removed at the throttle body end and not so much it is actually pulling on the lever at the other end. Just no slack in it. Its length is adjusted at the throttle body end, there's a plastic clip that is pulled out to unlock the cable so it can be moved in/out to adjust its length.

Have you checked the TV cable? Having no experience with the 32RH, I know most Dodge/Jeep/Mopar transmissions utilize a TV cable that must be adjusted properly. There is a sticky with copies of your year-specific FSM on this forum that you can find to see how to adjust.

Have you checked the TV cable? Having no experience with the 32RH, I know most Dodge/Jeep/Mopar transmissions utilize a TV cable that must be adjusted properly. There is a sticky with copies of your year-specific FSM on this forum that you can find to see how to adjust.
You're a little late to the party. 🥳 Jerry B already mentioned that.

Sounds like someone tightened the transmission's TV (kickdown) cable too much. It needs to be adjusted so its slack is just removed at the throttle body end and not so much it is actually pulling on the lever at the other end. Just no slack in it. Its length is adjusted at the throttle body end, there's a plastic clip that is pulled out to unlock the cable so it can be moved in/out to adjust its length.
Jerry, Thanks for the info! I'll take a look at it tonight!