AUX FM Modulator

Gabe

TJ Goon
Supporting Member
Hello All,

I recently replaced all the speakers in my '05 TJ, including the sub-woofer in the center console. When I changed out the head unit with a new Polk receiver it was not working with the sub-woofer. I contacted Crutchfield and they suggested a JVC unit, when I received the JVC I had the same problem with it not communicating with the sub-woofer. I decided to just keep the stock receiver. All I really need is an AUX and I'll be good. Do y'all have any suggestions? I was told about the FM Modulator(pictured below). Do y'all have any feedback on FM Modulators? Thanks for your help! And TJ on!
614q9VLQczL._SL1500_.jpg

The reason your subwoofer isn't working is, very likely, because the original speaker wiring that was driving the subwoofer is no longer there, or at least still connected. The subwoofer gets its audio signal from the left & right speaker wiring so if you bypassed the OE wiring to connect the new speakers, that disconnected the wiring that the subwoofer gets its audio from. The OE subwoofer cannot be driven by line level output or preamp outputs, it needs speaker level power to drive it.

I wouldn't use that FM aux input for anything that you want to be full-fidelity like from an MP3 player. FM cuts off at 15KHz at the highest so nothing going through the FM radio will deliver the higher frequencies that make music sound 'alive'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and Gabe
Jerry's advice (as usual) is spot on. I agree with everything he said.

Hello All,

I recently replaced all the speakers in my '05 TJ, including the sub-woofer in the center console. When I changed out the head unit with a new Polk receiver it was not working with the sub-woofer. I contacted Crutchfield and they suggested a JVC unit, when I received the JVC I had the same problem with it not communicating with the sub-woofer. I decided to just keep the stock receiver. All I really need is an AUX and I'll be good. Do y'all have any suggestions? I was told about the FM Modulator(pictured below). Do y'all have any feedback on FM Modulators? Thanks for your help! And TJ on!
View attachment 15807
I shipped my stock 6 disc radio to 1formula radio2, where they completely refurbished it and added an aux input. It works great. it was in the 200.00 area, can't recall the exact. This company also sells the refurb radios on ebay. For me it was well worth it, I like the stock stuff.

I shipped my stock 6 disc radio to 1formula radio2, where they completely refurbished it and added an aux input. It works great. it was in the 200.00 area, can't recall the exact. This company also sells the refurb radios on ebay. For me it was well worth it, I like the stock stuff.
That's a cool way to go. What kind of a switch did they add to control the aux input? I've done something similar but with older gear that had more room to work inside of. I would imagine it'd be more difficult with today's more compact gear that doesn't have much room inside.

They use the cd, so you when you plug in, it automatically converts.....or what ever the term is. It's really clean. On the return of my unit, the shipping caused some damage, and the radio company treated me really well, and gave me a quick turn around on the fix. It's easy to get pissed at that kind of stuff, but patience, polite, and respectful go such a long way. Punch in the radio shop on ebay and check out the location of the aux jack.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

I was looking all over for 1 Formula Radio 2, found it... http://www.1factoryradio.com/, this may be the way I go. Thanks!

Reactions: JeepNWilly
No problem, I just got off the phone with them. They had excellent customer service and I placed an order. Thanks for the info!
No problem, anytime. When you send your unit to them, or if you just buy one outright, ask them to wrap the crap out of it with bubble wrap. My first return was damaged internally from shipping. They were super good about fixing it, and said sometimes the cd portion gets damaged from the shipping (bouncing around I guess). I asked them for a major wrap on it to prevent damage, they did, the unit was returned undamaged and works great.
Ray

Reactions: Gabe
Have used them also ...... great service and products.
The OEM radios are easy to use and have big buttons. RAZ optioned radio in my Dodge/Cummins ...... auxiliary input.

That's the reason I stuck with the OEM radio so long, none of the PITA multifunction buttons.

$285 just to add an AUX jack seems a bit ridiculous to me, especially when you can get a head unit that has a higher wattage output, multiple AUX inputs, and other features for less than $100.

$285 just to add an AUX jack seems a bit ridiculous to me, especially when you can get a head unit that has a higher wattage output, multiple AUX inputs, and other features for less than $100.
True, and no argument from me.

I chose to stay with the stock radio because I prefer the look, and the sound I get out of it is nice. I'm not a flashy light, big boom person. Have to admit, sometimes on long trips I do think about big boom, because of the soft top cabin noise. but no more than road weary thought. Plus, there wasn't a good place closer to me that could do the work.

Personal choice, no criticism to others with different taste.

Ray

I tried some new head units, but they didn't work with the amp and sub built into the center console. I installed the head unit I received from 1FactoryRadio and everything works great. This option really worked well for me. I paid $115 for the head unit and am sending the one I replaced back today for a $15 credit. So, I only paid $100. Great deal and great customer service from the vedor.

This is an interesting idea. I need to replace my factory sub (its blown) and was planning on a wholesale stereo upgrade. The wife has been on me lately about how much I'm spending on the jeep...this might be a compromise solution if I can get an aux power unit, and replacement sub.

but OTOH, 200 bucks to "fix" the factory stuff, that may or may not be loud enough vs 500 for a whole new system that I design and that I KNOW will be loud enough to hear with the top down....hmmm....She might just have to deal with it. I put a nice system in her convertible when she had it...now its my turn! :)

This is an interesting idea. I need to replace my factory sub (its blown) and was planning on a wholesale stereo upgrade. The wife has been on me lately about how much I'm spending on the jeep...this might be a compromise solution if I can get an aux power unit, and replacement sub.

but OTOH, 200 bucks to "fix" the factory stuff, that may or may not be loud enough vs 500 for a whole new system that I design and that I KNOW will be loud enough to hear with the top down....hmmm....She might just have to deal with it. I put a nice system in her convertible when she had it...now its my turn! :)

I replaced my blown factory sub with this: https://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_1001.htm , it's definitely not the best, but it really sounds better than the BLOWN sub! It was easy to install, and works with the built-in amp.