AX-15 conversion in a 2005 Rubicon

Long Rider

TJ Enthusiast
Can AX-15s be adapted to a 2005 Rubicon. I'm probably going to have to replace my transfer case and would love to ditch the NG370 too. I've found some things on Novak, IIRC, that was set up for the earlier years, but the transfer case was clocked differently.

You can convert to the AX15 from the NSG370. Since your model year puts the crank position sensor on the right side of the bellhousing, you’ll need the special AX15 bellhousing that Advance Adapters sells which has a place for the stock 2005-2006 sensor to mount to. The factory bellhousing from 94-04 will not have that provision.

Clocking is related to where the transmission came from. XJ Cherokees have the transfer case pattern in the back of the transmission clocked about 10° from the Wrangler pattern. If you buy a brand new AX15 from Novak, it’ll come with the Wrangler pattern, so no cause for concern. Transfer case will slip right on and any input gear your transfer case has should seal properly to the AX15 with no issues. Only a short input gear is required but a longer one won’t hurt either, 99 TJs came with the long gear on AX15s and the AX15 was no different that year than prior.

Clutch parts are the same across all models: the clutch itself, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch fork, fork pivot ball, fork retaining clip, master & slave cylinder assembly. Flywheel is year specific and you would keep the 05-06 flywheel. Before that, 91-04 were all the same.

The only other things to deal with are the transmission to tub interface, i.e. the console and boots. I’d recommend hunting eBay for 5 speed boots, tunnel covers, and console halves until you can piece together something that works. @mrblaine has done this swap at least once, maybe more, so he can likely help with what’s needed there to make it look stock. A few others have also swapped and just came up with their own boot solution since factory parts are becoming difficult to find. Personally I’d want to find the old tunnel cover and the proper inner and outer boots to match plus the front older console half, but with parts becoming unobtainable, you can only do so much.

It’s a shame the NSG sucks. It has the perfect ratios on paper, but its real world driving experience doesn’t seem to hold up. I much prefer a 6 speed myself, but if it’s junk then that’s not great to live with. Good luck.

Last edited:
You can convert to the AX15 from the NSG370. Since your model year ours the crank position sensor on the right side of the bellhousing, you’ll need the special AX15 bellhousing that Advance Adapters sells which has a place for the stock 2005-2006 sensor to mount to. The factory bellhousing from 94-04 will not have that provision.

Clocking is related to where the transmission came from. XJ Cherokees have the transfer case pattern in the back of the transmission clocked about 10° from the Wrangler pattern. If you buy a brand new AX15 from Novak, it’ll come with the Wrangler pattern, so no cause for concern. Transfer case will slip right on and any input gear your transfer case has should seal properly to the AX15 with no issues. Only a short input gear is required but a longer one won’t hurt either, 99 TJs came with the long gear on AX15s and the AX15 was no different that year than prior.

Clutch parts are the same across all models: the clutch itself, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch fork, fork pivot ball, fork retaining clip, master & slave cylinder assembly. Flywheel is year specific and you would keep the 05-06 flywheel. Before that, 91-04 were all the same.

The only other things to deal with are the transmission to tub interface, i.e. the console and boots. I’d recommend hunting eBay for 5 speed boots, tunnel covers, and console halves until you can piece together something that works. @mrblaine has done this swap at least once, maybe more, so he can likely help with what’s needed there to make it look stock. A few others have also swapped and just came up with their own boot solution since factory parts are becoming difficult to find. Personally I’d want to find the old tunnel cover and the proper inner and outer boots to match plus the front older console half, but with parts becoming unobtainable, you can only do so much.

It’s a shame the NSG sucks. It has the perfect ratios on paper, but its real world driving experience doesn’t seem to hold up. I much prefer a 6 speed myself, but if it’s junk then that’s not great to live with. Good luck.

I’m looking at getting rid of my NSG370 because it’s junk. Hoping for a 42rle. It’ll mess my gearing all up, but at least it’s an auto.

Reactions: Long Rider
Excellent. Advance adapters has a better shifter lever too. My has the POS 6 speed though. Please let me know if there are any hidden problems. Good luck!

I bought my 2005 knowing that reverse was an issue. Its the 6speed NSG370 (same as what you have). After doing some research online and hearing issues with rebuilt 6speeds I am going with a AX15 swap. I had one in a YJ when I was younger and its a good shifting transmission. I did see a few guys online that have done the swap with little to no issues. Another positive is you can get them brand new (no rebuild or used issues)

I bought my 2005 knowing that reverse was an issue. Its the 6speed NSG370 (same as what you have). After doing some research online and hearing issues with rebuilt 6speeds I am going with a AX15 swap. I had one in a YJ when I was younger and its a good shifting transmission. I did see a few guys online that have done the swap with little to no issues. Another positive is you can get them brand new (no rebuild or used issues)

Please be aware. You sent me a link for the adapter bellhousing for the

"NV3550 & AX15 TO JEEP 4.0 BELLHOUSING 2005 & 06" Not the NSG370.​

I'd hate it if you bought the wrong adapter!

I am looking into a TJR with the NSG370, it has 90k miles on it. Is the 6 speed really that bad? Would you guys let its reputation steer you away from a potential purchase? When do the hard 1-2 shifts and reverse issues usually arise?

Please be aware. You sent me a link for the adapter bellhousing for the

"NV3550 & AX15 TO JEEP 4.0 BELLHOUSING 2005 & 06" Not the NSG370.​

I'd hate it if you bought the wrong adapter!

that is the correct bellhousing. the wording is weird, but it is supposed to read across as "bellhousing to allow AX15 and NV3550 to bolt to 2005-2006 engine".

The description elaborates to clarify that this bellhousing has the right location for the 05-06 crank sensor, which is what fixes the problem. That is the only hangup that keeps you from using the factory 94-04 bellhousing.

In other words, that linked product will work perfectly for putting a 5 speed on an 05-06 that had the 6 speed.

I am looking into a TJR with the NSG370, it has 90k miles on it. Is the 6 speed really that bad? Would you guys let its reputation steer you away from a potential purchase? When do the hard 1-2 shifts and reverse issues usually arise?

This video gives the low down. The shift rails and gears all are problematic.

You can convert to the AX15 from the NSG370. Since your model year puts the crank position sensor on the right side of the bellhousing, you’ll need the special AX15 bellhousing that Advance Adapters sells which has a place for the stock 2005-2006 sensor to mount to. The factory bellhousing from 94-04 will not have that provision.

Is there any problems bolting the AX-15 to the Rubicon transfer case? I've read that there are differences regular transfer case and the Rubi case and don't know if those differences between the will keep the AX-15 from interfacing with the Rubi transfer case. Thanks for the amazing and very useful information.

Is there any problems bolting the AX-15 to the Rubicon transfer case? I've read that there are differences regular transfer case and the Rubi case and don't know if those differences between the will keep the AX-15 from interfacing with the Rubi transfer case. Thanks for the amazing and very useful information.

I'm not 100% sure on that but I'm about 99% sure no issues. The Rubicon came with the 5-speed from 03-04 and to my knowledge, any tcase that fits the NV3550 will fit the AX15 no problem. So it should be fine. The AX15 is the easiest transmission to keep happy since a short transfer case gear will keep it sealed, so even if your tcase has the long gear, it's good to go.

The problem would come up if the AX15 needed a long gear and you had a tcase with a short gear. You'd need an extended seal or to teardown the tcase to change the gear in that case. But, to my knowledge, you shouldn't have any issues.

Can someone look at the thread I just posted and see if they can help?

• Face Palm
Reactions: Mike_H and Ocho
I'm not 100% sure on that but I'm about 99% sure no issues. The Rubicon came with the 5-speed from 03-04 and to my knowledge, any tcase that fits the NV3550 will fit the AX15 no problem. So it should be fine. The AX15 is the easiest transmission to keep happy since a short transfer case gear will keep it sealed, so even if your tcase has the long gear, it's good to go.

The problem would come up if the AX15 needed a long gear and you had a tcase with a short gear. You'd need an extended seal or to teardown the tcase to change the gear in that case. But, to my knowledge, you shouldn't have any issues.

My Rubi has an 05 and has the POS 6 speed. Since the T-case has been stripped out and the transmission is grinding in 3rd, I may have to go the poor man's route and replace both with rebuilds. My Dad recently died and I inherited a JL Rubicon, so I may wind up selling TJ (it's a money pit)...But if I can fix the vibs and get everything operational, it's going to be hard to do.

The input gear length only really matters in the autos, and if you really track down the years of usage, you see that everything in the years of the 3 speed used a long input, everything in the years of the 4 speed used a short. The nsg370 came with a short but can work with a long, the AX15 used a long but works with a short, and the 3550 was provided either way.

I've personally assembled and driven a short input 231 with an AX15 as well as a long input on a nsg370...because I had both rigs at the same time and swapped them because one had a SYE installed.

I've driven two NSGs my biggest gripe is the shift from first to second, I have to granny shift it and still have been knocked out of second or end up grinding it. No problems starting off in second though if the incline allows for it. The reverse gear grinding issue can be circumvented 99% of the time by shifting into first first (but not actually engaging first/letting off clutch), then reverse.

The tranny is definitely on my list of jobs to get done I really want to get a rebuilt unit to keep the originality but I dont know what I will decide.

Reactions: DropTopDon
Can someone look at the thread I just posted and see if they can help?

Where did you come from? Jumping into someone's else's thread asking for help is like cutting to the front of the line. If you need help start a new topic and quit crapping on this one.