AX-15 transmission gap

AJ9297

Hi everyone! New Jeep owner here, recently bought a 1997 TJ (manufacture date 09/96 - because apparently that does affect SOME components).

I am discovering that I have purchased a bit of a project, - but what jeep isn't a project - and crawled underneath to examine the exhaust to identify the source of an exhaust leak, when I noticed that at the front of the transmission there's a gap at the front plate of the housing. now, in my limited knowledge of transmissions (I've only ever seen an automatic from underneath) I would assume that i SHOULDN'T be seeing that gap? I'll take a photo and share it if that would help explain it better.
I would also assume that the transmission won't hold fluid with that gap there and that it could be the cause for grinding into 3rd & 4th gears.

Any insight/advice here would be awesome, the owner who had this vehicle before me supposedly rebuilt the clutch and rear transfer case, if that matters.
Thanks in advance!

I think you mean the inspection cover is missing? Can you see the flywheel through the opening?

These 3 photos are from the same area, just different angles to give you a couple of different perspectives. The bolt at the bottom was missing as well. this is right behind the oil pan drain plug

20210418_023434.jpg
20210418_023442.jpg
20210418_023553.jpg

This next photo is up above in between the oil pan and the previously mentioned component. there is a leak of sorts there, anyone have any explanations for that?
20210418_023604.jpg

That gap is between the Flywheel cover and the tranny housing, normal. The cover gets removed to inspect the flywheel and such.
The third picture shows what seem to be the motor real seal which have a minor leak. Unless the tranny its empty, i no see major leak that can affect the tranny operation.

As Jorge said the gap is normal and won't be your source for a poor shifting transmission. The grinding from 3-4 is odd but I would try draining and refilling the trans with the proper fluid and see what happens. The leak appears to be rear main/back of valve cover etc

Right on, thats one less thing to stress about I suppose. Thanks for the knowledge, everyone!
I'm going to be draining the fluid and filling it with redline MTL, which is apparently the fluid to use on the older manuals due to their synchros

MT-90 is the recommended Redline oil for the AX-15.

Or you can use synthetic 10W-30 per Aisin and Jeep.
sweet, I'll be sure to get that. Thanks for the heads up!

Next question/troubleshoot for everyone:

So i started up the jeep after replacing plugs, wires, Oil Pressure Sending unit, and the TPS.
Before I continue it should be noted that the Exhaust manifold gasket is definitely broken in at least one or two places and needs replacing as it's causing a leak.

could the broken/cracked exhaust manifold gasket cause the engine to consistently give a slight backfire - consistent as in almost every other/every cycle of the engine during both idle and acceleration (sounds like a slight, but heavy "puff"/"put" - not sure how to explain the sound accurately aside from maybe comparable to a 2 stroke push mower?)
Or could I have botched a plug/wire? it did have that consistent sound before I changed all of them out, which is why I replaced the plugs in the first place.