AX-15 won’t take more oil!

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey all, been surfing the forums for awhile and have always been able to get the info i need without posting ! but the day has come hoping someone can help out or maybe @Jerry Bransford. So i drained my ax-15 last night, let it drain for an hour, then began to fill up using the fill plug and a quart pump (MT-90) anyways when i began to use the 3rd quart oil starts coming out the fill hole. I know the ax-15 takes 3.25 quarts so im going crazy trying to figure out why the tranny is only take 2+ quarts of oil. PLease help !! i dont wanna drive around with only 2 quarts of fluid in my jeep

*forgot to mention, i even drove jeep around block with the 2 quarts of oil to see if i could add more after the drive but no success still gushing fluid out of fill hole when i try to pump more in

Did you remove both the fill and drain plugs while draining? Sometimes they can develop and air bubble and retain some of the old oil.

No i did not open fill plug first, but i still think that it would all drain out no? could an air bubble really hold onto 1+ quarts?

I am a very newbie here and have the AX-15 but I do think I saw somewhere the AX-5 had two plugs that looked like they each could be a fill hole? Might be a difference in levels. Others might offer more info on that. Good luck to you.

Like Jerry said, if it is full, it is full. The specified 3.3 qt capacity is likely in a new, never filled trans. There is always some left behind. To reiterate, always a good idea to pull the fill plug. Allows air to flow so it drains fully, and so you know you can refill it.

Reactions: Daryl
@Rob5589 I hear you, but still it doesn't sit right with me, if it was 1/4 quart off i wouldn't worry but more then a quart missing seems likely ill ruin my transmission if it truly only has about 2 quarts of fluid inside it. Taking to my shop tomorrow, will update.

I have the 3550, but when I drained it I also lifted the rear end up after it stopped draining and maybe got another 4-6 oz out. I let it drip until it stopped and filled it until it began to overflow. I also drained it with the tranny warmed up. If you filled it to the brim, you are done.

Could someone give him a link or snapshot of the fill hole location since I garbled the topic about reading somewhere about the fill holes being mistaken at times and he has a discrepancy of fluid used to fill just to make him feel sure he has the right one? My AX-15 are on opposite sides. (If I used the right one) I think his are supposed to be on the same side by what I can remember about the text.

Hell, I know how he feels, I was apprehensive about pulling ALL the carpet out of my 98 TJ before I did it the first time. Now I could do it with a beer in my left hand in 5 minutes with only my right hand and not spill any.

First time for anyone needs all the help we can give him. JMO

Hey all, been surfing the forums for awhile and have always been able to get the info i need without posting ! but the day has come hoping someone can help out or maybe @Jerry Bransford. So i drained my ax-15 last night, let it drain for an hour, then began to fill up using the fill plug and a quart pump (MT-90) anyways when i began to use the 3rd quart oil starts coming out the fill hole. I know the ax-15 takes 3.25 quarts so im going crazy trying to figure out why the tranny is only take 2+ quarts of oil. PLease help !! i dont wanna drive around with only 2 quarts of fluid in my jeep
Did you use a Suck-Pump to get it all out?

Here's are a couple illustrations showing the AX-15 drain & fill plugs, make sure to note the positions of the drain & fill plugs. There's another plug labeled Do Not Remove... don't remove that, it holds a part in place inside and that would just ruin your entire week.

The drain plug is on the low-front passenger side, the fill is half-way up on the driver's side.

Paul there's no need to suck the gear lube out, it just drains out the drain plug like we drain our engine crankcases.

AX-15 fill plug.gif
AX-15 drain plug.gif

I've done the fluid change 4-5 times, things were always normal, used about 3+ quarts to fill tranny, this time itll only take about 2. very weird still to me