AX15 Last check before Rebuild - Thrust Washer, Detent?

afitzray97

TJ Enthusiast
Been searching a lot but I haven't had any luck with removing the shifter boot or replacing the plastic nut on the bottom of the shifter rod. My AX15 has pretty crisp shifts but pops out of 1st sometimes (more often lately and mostly when under more load like starting from stop on a hill). 140k on the stock motor/tranny. I've removed the console and pulled the shifter to check the plastic cap and clearance around shifter. Everything looks good. No other strange noises or issues for any other gears. It always pops out before the clutch is fully engaged, if I can get fully off the clutch pedal I've never had a problem after that. The best description for what happens is described in this thread that says it's likely the thrust washers ( wranglerforum.com/f210/popping-out-of-first-gear-16077-2.html ). The "loud bang" as it pops out is a spot on description.

If it is the thrust washer issue then would it only affect 1st? I've never had a problem with any other gears.
Looks like this is buried deep in the tranny so I'm thinking if any work is done then a full rebuild would be worth it while the tranny is pulled and disassembled?

The only other thing I've found that I might be able to get at in the garage is something with the "detent" but I'm not sure if this is just something you check to confirm there's an unbroken spring and a ball or if it's something that you can check and adjust? Discussed here: jeepforum.com/forum/f12/first-gear-popping-out-ax-15-a-781758/

Any other ideas or remedies before I dump a bunch of money on a rebuild?

The detent ball and spring are not adjustable, but perhaps they are not able to move freely for some reason? As I recall, you would be alright to remove the cap and check them. Here's another discussion with pictures...
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/first-gear-popping-out-ax-15-a-781758/index2.html
Post #8 has a picture of the intermediate plate, with 3x Torx caps that hide the springs and balls. Slide a magnet in there to pull them out.

This video shows a rebuild underway for a similar problem. He though his was related to worn 1st gear hub/ sleeve and synchro.