Axle CV Joint upgrades?

MichiganWildcat

2000 TJ stock axles with 5spd and 4.0. Both CV joints are bad up front, I've heard there are better u joints to use other than OEM. Are there any and do we know a part number? Also, my wheel bearings are still good but they are also 24 years old so I'm thinking an ounce of prevention here and just replace them while it's apart? Mind you my Jeep looks like it could go anywhere, she's just a pretty face and has never been nor will be abused. Thanks in advance!

2000 TJ stock axles with 5spd and 4.0. Both CV joints are bad up front, I've heard there are better u joints to use other than OEM. Are there any and do we know a part number? Also, my wheel bearings are still good but they are also 24 years old so I'm thinking an ounce of prevention here and just replace them while it's apart? Mind you my Jeep looks like it could go anywhere, she's just a pretty face and has never been nor will be abused. Thanks in advance!

I'm a little confused, I don't think CV joints on the axles are OEM, certainly not on a TJ.

Are you talking about the UJoints on the axle? If yes, then I use Spicer replacements. 5-760x are the Spicer I used.

Agree you might as well install new unit bearings since you're removing my the axle shafts. I usually go with Timken but last time around I installed SKF.

Dorman sells a kit with replacement axle nut, washer, and cotter pin.

Welcome.

Can't go wrong with the Spicer 5-760x u-joint to replace the stock axle u-joint (no CV joint).

My fault calling them "cv" joints. Thank you for the advice

Some people swap them to CV axles.
https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultimate-dana-30-cv-axle-set-for-jeep-wrangler-yj-tj-lj-xj-zj.html

RCV Performance Ultimate CV Axles simply replace your Jeep YJ, TJ, LJ, XJ or ZJ's weak Dana 30 U-joint axle shafts with a high-strength constant velocity design. Tests prove Ultimate CV Axles to be twice as strong as OEM Jeep axle shafts, and they're just as tough at a straight angle as they are at extreme angles - where U-joints are weakest. Ultimate CV Axles also eliminate U-joint binding to allow smooth transfer power to the ground.

Last edited:
My fault calling them "cv" joints. Thank you for the advice
No worries, wasn’t meaning to be picky.

Some people swap them to CV axles.
https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultimate-dana-30-cv-axle-set-for-jeep-wrangler-yj-tj-lj-xj-zj.html

RCV Performance Ultimate CV Axles simply replace your Jeep YJ, TJ, LJ, XJ or ZJ's weak Dana 30 U-joint axle shafts with a high-strength constant velocity design. Tests prove Ultimate CV Axles to be twice as strong as OEM Jeep axle shafts, and they're just as tough at a straight angle as they are at extreme angles - where U-joints are weakest. Ultimate CV Axles also eliminate U-joint binding to allow smooth transfer power to the ground.

This is why, there are full on CV joints people do the upgrade to.

I stick to U Joints from Spicer, just my choice, so wanted to make sure

The 5-760x are about as good as it gets for a UJoint there.

Also, like mentioned, change them witb a hammer and wood block instead of a press that may bend the ear