Axle Identification

OK, I’m a newb. I feel ashamed. I’m a retired teacher that was on the top of the food chain in my profession. I’m a Dad that based on all accounts was a good Dad. I’m a husband that’s been married for 33 years to the same woman (how she’s put up with me is a testament to her, not me) and yet I’m apparently Axle illiterate)
So, even thou I’ve studied Chris’ pics, read the specs;I’m still uncertain. What rear Axle do I have on my ‘03 TJ? Thank you, y’all are better than I
af7f09a4be134e27588d9f03103cc614.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OK, I’m a newb. I feel ashamed. I’m a retired teacher that was on the top of the food chain in my profession. I’m a Dad that based on all accounts was a good Dad. I’m a husband that’s been married for 33 years to the same woman (how she’s put up with me is a testament to her, not me) and yet I’m apparently Axel illiterate)
So, even thou I’ve studied Chris’ pics, read the specs;I’m still uncertain. What rear axel do I have on my ‘03 TJ? Thank you, y’all are better than I
View attachment 32137

Dana 44.

That’s what I thought. However, after reading Chris’ FAQ about Axle and thinking I’m not that lucky to have bought an ‘03 TJ with a 44, I had to verify. I’m a lucky guy. I was going to start saving to switch it out, but, now I can use the jingle jangle for another upgrade! After I drain and fill the diffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That’s what I thought. However, after reading Chris’ FAQ about axels and thinking I’m not that lucky to have bought an ‘03 TJ with a 44, I had to verify. I’m a lucky guy. I was going to start saving to switch it out, but, now I can use the jingle jangle for another upgrade! After I drain and fill the diffs.

Very lucky indeed! That axle is worth its weight in gold!

That's one rusty rear end brah! Did I just say that? I lucked out as well on my 03 Sport. Dana 44 and rear disc brakes! Yay!

That's one rusty rear end brah! Did I just say that? I lucked out as well on my 03 Sport. Dana 44 and rear disc brakes! Yay!

I know right. I just went out today and bought gear oil, and gasket goop. I was thinking about the diff cover and I was just looking at new covers from Quadratec. I love this Jeep!

I know right. I just went out today and bought gear oil, and gasket goop. I was thinking about the diff cover and I was just looking at new covers from Quadratec. I love this Jeep!

I have a spare stock Dana 44 cover that's in a whole heck of a lot better shape than yours if you want it.