Axle questions.. sorry in advance.

gwolff

Hello guys

I am hoping to restore and regear the axles on my 2000 TJ soon. I have Dana 44's front and rear with 3.73 gearing.

I know that there are variations of the Dana 44. I do not know where or what vehicles the Dana 44's on my TJ came from as they were installed by previous owners. The latest owner told me he bought the front housing from a Jeep dealer and the front axles from Superior axle and gear. Back axle housing etc unknown.

My question is, how do I ensure the axles and gearing I am buying will work in my Dana 44s? I imagine if I knew exactly what vehicles my axles were out of it would make things easier. I am hoping someone here can look at my axles and tell me, "Any ring/pinion and any axles you buy that are intended for a TJ Rubicon will work." I imagine that ring and pinions and axles are difference sizes depending on the dana 44. Any help is appreciated.

By the way, the shock mounts on my rear axle look very much homemade, so I can't rely on those to give me any hints.

PXL_20210319_031243558.MP.jpg

PXL_20210319_031144494.jpg

I imagine that ring and pinions and axles are difference sizes depending on the dana 44.
This is true.

Is the front a low pinion?

Measure the diamter of the axle tubes, front and rear.

Measure the WMS.

Front unit bearing will be 27 spline if it’s a TJ front 44.

Although not foolproof, what’s the bolt pattern? (without a wheel spacer, if equipped.)

The answers provided should point you in the right direction.

most of the brackets on the axles axle are OE, so i'd be thinking they are TJ axles. though the rear lower shock mounts look altered and hang pretty low. and the lower CA's brackets are thicker and skided sorta.
the links and TB, kinda look like MC stuff. if so, i bet they could use some grease.

Easiest way to tell is to look at the driver, short, side. If it has one of these locker sensors hanging off it, it's a Rubicon 44 someone re-geared. If the wire isn't there, since the PO said he bought the housing from a dealer, it's possible there is a plug installed instead of the sensor wire. FWIW, the bottom left of the picture shows a 90 degree elbow, rusted, this is where the factory pump airline attaches on a Rubicon 44.

1616148747076.png

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/899ce3af-1286-45e2-88c7-bd227bd20a40-jpeg.43279/

Last edited:
I measured the diameter of the axle housings.. about 1.52 in the front and 1.62 in the back. There are wires coming out of the pumpkins in the front and rear because there are eaton elockers installed