fourmustangs

TJ Enthusiast
Is this an easy fix?
The front axle tube leak.

20170418_171429.jpg

Reactions: LD68
Is this an easy fix?
The front axle tube leak.
That's kind of a PITA leak to fix, the front axle only has inner seals inside the pumpkin. That means the pumpkin has to be opened and the differential has to be removed so those two (left and right) seals can be replaced.

That's kind of a PITA leak to fix, the front axle only has inner seals inside the pumpkin. That means the pumpkin has to be opened and the differential has to be removed so those two (left and right) seals can be replaced.

This is the video I used when I researched replacing my axle seals:

It really doesn't look very hard. Just apparently need a 36mm socket and a boat load of ratchet extensions! (if you do it his way)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks for posting that video, I've got a pair of leaking seals myself and just haven't had time to deal with it yet. Looks pretty straight forward.

I need to do this job too. Crap! The only thing that's got me questioning my ability is getting the (keeping) backlash right. That tool he used is foreign, to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to worry about any settings within the diff. Nothing will change, simply keep everything on the correct sides, swap seals, and bolt the carrier back in.

Reactions: StG58
Any point in doing those aftermarket seals at the end of the diff tubes?

I was researching that same inquiry yesterday. Looks like there's only one brand of outter seals. Which leads me to think that since they're the only one's willing to invest in making them (unless they're just the most aggressively marketed) that they truly aren't necessary. So my vote, no, they're not needed.

X2 the outer seals are not needed. My used TJ came with them and I keep forgetting to remove them whenever I have the axle shafts out.

Im going to give it a go. Ive got just about all the tools for this job. And I need to change my steering knuckles tol. With patience and good lighting, I'll be alright. Removing the carrier and making sure it goes back in the right way will be the most nerve pressing.