Axle U-Joints?

CMTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Went to work this morning and while parking I had to cut it a little sharp to get in the space and heard a pretty loud bang. First thing I thought was u joint in front pass wheel. Everything under the front end is tight and greased and in good shape to include sway bar links. Left for lunch and heard again twice in the parking lot then leaving for the day had my buddy look and listen while I backed out and yep, bang. Am I making the right diagnosis? Also isn't there a write up on the forum on how to replace them? Thanks

Went to work this morning and while parking I had to cut it a little sharp to get in the space and heard a pretty loud bang. First thing I thought was u joint in front pass wheel. Everything under the front end is tight and greased and in good shape to include sway bar links. Left for lunch and heard again twice in the parking lot then leaving for the day had my buddy look and listen while I backed out and yep, bang. Am I making the right diagnosis? Also isn't there a write up on the forum on how to replace them? Thanks

Just because your axle ujoints look like they are ok, they may not be. When I installed my BBK, I decided to change my axle u-joints since I had to remove the shafts anyways. This is what my ujoint needle bearings looked like when I removed the old ujoint.
20.JPG

P1060960.JPG

I had no indication that they were that bad.

Also, Is the front diff an open diff, or is there a mechanical locker up front?

Thanks guys. I will tackle this over the weekend.
Avoid store brand u-joints, go for a Spicer 5-760x for your front axle shafts. It is a direct replacement for the Spicer 5-297x the factory installed but it's far stronger and more durable.

Avoid store brand u-joints, go for a Spicer 5-760x for your front axle shafts. It is a direct replacement for the Spicer 5-297x the factory installed but it's far stronger and more durable.
Jerry, i had seen you mention (I believe it was you) in another post a spicer kit that included the centering ball and joints from some where do you recall? for an 05 X model.

Reactions: cliffish
So what else do I need to replace my axel ujoints? Dana 44. Pull the tire, caliper, pull the axel out. New seals ? I don’t think so.? Don’t think I need to pop the pumpkin

No need to open the diff up but be very careful sliding the shaft back in as to not damage the inner seal

It is an easy job and fun to do. While you have everything apart it is a good time to replace the ball joints if there is any adverse play or aged. As I especially enjoy twisting a wrench, I tend to go for overkill and with mine, I did the seals, bearings, joints and balls all at the same time. Did the brakes as well. I replace before failure always. Some may think that is ridiculous, but I like it when the vehicle feels and acts fresh. My 97 F250 looks and drives like a new rig.

I know it's been like 2 years, but did swapping out the u joints fix your issue?